"Montage of Heck" release date announced, to feature new original music

Come as you are if you feel stupid and contagious, come over here and entertain us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Canucker
Grunge God

Re: "Montage of Heck" release date announced, to feature new original music

Post by Canucker »

I found the last days really really annoying. It was part of the film festival up here in toronto and they made a huge deal over it....I didn't see it until a while later when I found a copy at a yard sale for two bucks.....I couldn't make it all the way through. It looked like it would have been more fun to make then to watch.

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana »

Alice Wheeler's take on the movie, https://www.facebook.com/alice.wheeler2 ... nref=story

"I am writing to explain my point of view about the film Montage of Heck. When I was originally contacted about this movie years ago I thought it sounded like a good idea, it was pitched as the Kurt movie where he got to tell his story in his own words and it was suggested that it would minimized the clichés about his life. Over the last 3 years I have gone out of my way to assist and support the people making Montage of Heck. They have had more access and resources than anyone else making a film on this subject and yet the final product is in my opinion both confusing and disappointing.
I would like to dispel the unfortunate mythos surrounding Kurt’s heroin use and subsequent death. I am very sad when I meet young fans who idolize Kurt and think that shooting junk and self destruction are necessary parts of the creative process. He had many productive happy years making art and music before fame; Courtney and heroin came into his life (they came in that order).
The film failed to show that while he was living in Olympia he was surrounded by a large group of creative people who supported each other’s art and challenged the status quo in revolutionary ways. He was just one of many very talented, brilliant people that were part of that scene.
After he became famous he often complained about feeling singled out and made efforts to bring other people from that group in to the spotlight with him. Kurt was inclusive and believed in supporting the underdog. He often talked about politics and felt it was part of his job to support equal rights for women and gays.
Sadly this movie continues to uphold the old myths about Kurt’s life that were in my opinion originally invented to help make Courtney appear more sympathetic after the Vanity Fair article revealed that she was shooting heroin while pregnant. I believe this movie is from Courtney’s point of view and is not very reflective of the person I remember Kurt to be. The director doesn’t appear to identify with Kurt’s position at all but instead just repeats tired clichés about Kurt’s life. An example of one of the most malicious myths the film features is the idea that he was destined to commit suicide because of his childhood scars. The director included many cringe-worthy moments that would have been humiliating for Kurt who was a sensitive person with a history of being ostracized and bullied. The film Montage of Heck feels voyeuristic, exploitive and devoid of empathy.
I expressed my viewpoint during the Q&A because in his interview after the films Seattle premier the director invited the audience to give their opinion. I felt like the director didn’t appear to have any empathy towards Kurt but seemed very self-congratulatory about what to me was his manipulation of Kurt’s family.
I have waited for many years to do a book of my photographs because I did not want to exploit my friendship with Kurt. In Outcasts and Innocents Photographs of the Northwest by Alice Wheeler I share images of Kurt, Kathleen Hanna and many other Northwest luminaries, places and events in an effort to give a more holistic and realistic view of our history. You can see some of my images http://minormattersbooks.com/products/a ... -northwest "
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support

subpop1999
Grunge God

Post by subpop1999 »

Huh... idk about it anymore
Fuck this American bullshit, I'm from Yorkshire, and it's Yorkshire day. Let's go eat some tatties and Yorkshire pudding.

sadie

Post by sadie »

They argued about it on Charles Peterson's facebook, Alice Wheeler and other locals. Seemed like people weren't too impressed by Alice, some of them sounded mad.

Peterson and Endino have liked the movie, at least they both made a post about it.

We'll see.

// edit But then again, the locals also trashed Mark Yarm and EMP so..
Last edited by sadie on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

Good morning my love :D
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

sadie

Post by sadie »

Morning hun <3 How's your morning?
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

Off to work, then get the final birfday prezzents for my wife ;) Got her an antique wristband, a Vive Maria dress (black with flowers, rroarr :P), and the latest TC Boyle novel and gonna round it up with some fancy tea and chocolates. (Yes, I do have to make up for a couple of previously flunked birthdays. I'm only human :) )

How about you chick?
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)

sadie

Post by sadie »

Work, although I was lazy and stayed home. But I still need to open up Lightroom and Premiere, no can do :( Thank god Aku gave me few songs he made so I don't have to worry about that, and what's nicer, I really like them both. But it's nice to be home alone, some music, some editing and coffee.

Sun's shining. Some days it's nice, in others it just annoys me. I'm excited of Montage of Heck, and the book. I've also been looking into all kinds of photographers, and it's very inspirational. We have a photography store downstairs and they're looking for an intern, someone who could learn their ways during that and stay a while after. I kind of want to apply, but I'm not sure if I should just keep on studying while I'm at it. Decisions decisions.. :roll:

epiphysis
Grunge maniac

Post by epiphysis »

Just watched 'Montage of heck' and wow. Its really something different. You really get to know Kurt on a whole different level. I would strongly suggest everybody here to go and see it.

The animations is great, the music is great, Courtney is nude and made me want to put a sigarette out in my eye. And for once its a documentary that doesn't focus on his death. I really enjoyed it and will watch it again.

I really envy you guys that live in countries that will get to see it in cinemas.
The moment you start analyzing your own rock is the moment your rock is dead. That's why rock is now pretty much dead. Too much analyzation. No rockalyzation! - Jack Black

subpop1999
Grunge God

Post by subpop1999 »

How nude is she?
Fuck this American bullshit, I'm from Yorkshire, and it's Yorkshire day. Let's go eat some tatties and Yorkshire pudding.

Elektra Foxx
Grunge maniac

Post by Elektra Foxx »

New Kurt Cobain Album to be Released This Summer, According to Montage of Heck Director

While preparing Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck, the forthcoming documentary about the Nirvana singer, director Brett Morgen sifted through dozens of Cobain's personal tapes. Now, an album culled from those home recordings will be released this summer, as Morgen told Bedford + Bowery.

When asked by Bedford + Bowery if he uncovered any particular highlights amongst Cobain's archives, Morgen responded, "We’re going to be putting out an amazing album this summer that I think will answer that question." He also said the album "will feel like you’re kind of hanging out with Kurt Cobain on a hot summer day in Olympia, Washington as he fiddles about. It’s going to really surprise people."

He added: "Just to be clear, it’s not a Nirvana album, it’s just Kurt and you’re going to hear him do things you never expected to come out of him."

Later in the interview, Morgen said he found 107 cassettes featuring 200 hours of "never-before-heard or rarely heard music." He also said the tapes contain jam sessions with Courtney Love, jam sessions with friends and Nirvana, demo tapes, demo tapes with his punk band Fecal Matter, serious and un-serious spoken word material, covers of the Beatles, sound effects, sound design, and more.

You can read the entire interview here.

HBO will air Montage of Heck on May 4. It is screening in select theaters now.
http://pitchfork.com/news/59469-new-kur ... -director/

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle »

subpop1999 wrote:How nude is she?
Liam no. Don't be that pathetic!

And as for the "new" Kurt solo album......I'm honestly surprised that it's been this long before they released something like it. It'll be interesting to listen to at least.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

subpop1999
Grunge God

Post by subpop1999 »

I was just wondering what he meant by nude. I mean, is this like rated R or something? Eww, you didn't think I'd want to see courtney love nude?????

G

R

O

S

S

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

Just watch The Peopls vs. Larry Flint if you want to see Courtney boobies.

subpop1999
Grunge God

Post by subpop1999 »

But... but I don't :(