Teens react to Nirvana

Come as you are if you feel stupid and contagious, come over here and entertain us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Sorlag
Grunge God

Teens react to Nirvana

Post by Sorlag » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:06 pm

Hah :P of course SLTS had to be first, and HSB after that. But it's cool to see them really digging it :)

when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why

robbielamb
Grunge guru

Re: Teens react to Nirvana

Post by robbielamb » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:52 pm

I liked this video too
Image Image
Grunge Is not dead!
Punk rock means freedom
Jump Into That Drum Set

Polly on Lithium
Grunge fan

Post by Polly on Lithium » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:48 am

This makes me happy. Maybe there is hope for my generation. Just maybe, though. Most of my generation just seem like they have to listen to rap & pop for some reason.

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:50 pm

See I've been telling people this for years. They will like it, you just have to show it to them. Kids will always like rock. It's just that the mainstream media now pushes only horrible stuff, and it is more of a monopoly now, so they aren't given the good stuff nearly as much as past generations. If they changed directions and went with a new grunge revolution for instance, the kids will eat it up. No one has figured out how to get past the controlling current mainstream pop and rap dictatorship yet though. There are soooo many good modern heavy raw rock bands that could totally be revolutionary, but no one has heard of them because they can't get above the underground due to the way the music system works now.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:59 pm

I wish I could remember the documentary I saw that discusses this but after Kurt died the record companies got together and decided to go with safe artists they could control. They are doing it on purpose Because it's sage and easy.

Grunge_Chick
Grunge God

Post by Grunge_Chick » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:42 am

boxcar wrote:I wish I could remember the documentary I saw that discusses this but after Kurt died the record companies got together and decided to go with safe artists they could control. They are doing it on purpose Because it's sage and easy.
I can see that happening. I also took this media class that said that there is research to show that nearly all popular pop and rock songs (in more recent years) have a similar beat, format, and synchronization that in theory they say has programmed people to identify those components and therefore assume it is a popular good song making it more desirable. We are creatures of habit and I think the music industry knows that. Why take a chance and spend money on a band that is different and people may not like when you have a sure thing you can promote?

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:46 pm

Exactly! There have been countless amounts of money spent on figuring out what triggers the human brain to buy and react to different stimulus. Commercials are all made very specifically to enter your conciseness. Music is becoming the same. They have pretty much taken the art out of it and replaced it with science.

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:55 pm

That's really sad though, and seems very robotic and clone-like, but yeah I'm sure it's true.
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

Isa
Grunge fanatic

Post by Isa » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:53 pm

Last edited by Isa on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:42 pm

I like those kids. I feel bad for them though. They've been denied so much of the last 100 years of culture. It's like the 20th century was a big explosion and we're only experiencing minor ripples from the bang.

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:02 pm

It's really interesting to read your reactions to this video. I don't know what to say, but it will make me think, because I think about this stuff a lot.

I actually think that today's pop music is better than pop music has been in decades. When I was in high school, it was shit like Greenday and Emo and the Academy is. Now at least it's a little different. I appreciate that Green Day was talking about how fucked up the Bush presidency was, but they were just another corporate rock band. I'm really glad that rock is underground now and I hope it stays there because it's a lot more vibrant that way.

You guys should support new awesome rock bands like Priests and Toupée. Love them and support them and be inspired by them. That's how underground music prospers.

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:55 pm

So wait, you would prefer stuff like Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Keisha, Nikki Minaj, One Direction etc. over Green Day? I mean yeah I guess the got a bit more emoey in the mid 2000s, but the Dookie era was great, and their worst stuff is better than that garbage, plus it's not different, it's a ripoff of the 1998-2003 era stuff like Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, and Aaron Carter, which were ripoffs of 80s boy bands and pop girls, though continuously worse and even more autotuned and over-polished, and then they're all continuing ripoffs of each other as well.
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:19 pm

infinitegrunge wrote:I actually think that today's pop music is better than pop music has been in decades.
No lad. Give me Slade, John Kongos, Bowie and The Sweet over the shite kids like these days.

Blegend
Grunge maniac

Post by Blegend » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:23 pm

See... Pop music has been around so long and yea we are in a time where pop music is controlled by hip hop Kurt cobain once said something along the lines of hip hop is rocks temporary replacement while we aren't at war.. So rock n roll will come back into the mainstream when the government does another draft or something.

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:51 pm

KristinNirvana wrote:So wait, you would prefer stuff like Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Keisha, Nikki Minaj, One Direction etc. over Green Day? I mean yeah I guess the got a bit more emoey in the mid 2000s, but the Dookie era was great, and their worst stuff is better than that garbage, plus it's not different, it's a ripoff of the 1998-2003 era stuff like Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, and Aaron Carter, which were ripoffs of 80s boy bands and pop girls, though continuously worse and even more autotuned and over-polished, and then they're all continuing ripoffs of each other as well.

I would vastly prefer Lorde, Lana Del Rey and weird popstars like them to fake rock bands like what Green Day became and Fallout Boy and shit like that.

I love good rock, I hate shitty fake rock. I'd rather rock be totally dead than listen to a guitar that sounds like it's auto tuned (and the vocals were too!). My opinion is at least pop stars are honest about what they are. I fucking hate overproduced rock music that pretends to be anti-corporate when they're all just upper-middle-class dudes sitting on some corporate guy's lap. Taking money from people who believe in them, but using that money to buy nice houses.

I get what you're saying about all the pop stars you mentioned because they DO suck and they are rip offs. But …. isn't that true of Green Day and stuff too? They're just ripping off the Sex Pistols and the Descendents and doing a bad job of it. Anyone who isn't doing something new sucks equally in my opinion :).