Nirvana - Sellouts?

Come as you are if you feel stupid and contagious, come over here and entertain us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

SunnyJim
Moderator
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:25 am
Location: Salt Lake SHITTY, Utah.

Nirvana - Sellouts?

Post by SunnyJim » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:01 pm

Sorry if this has been talked about, I went through all three pages to make sure it hadn't. I didn't see anything.

Anyway, Nirvana's my favorite band, and In Utero is my favorite album.

Alot of people (including Kurt himself) seem to think they sold out with "Nevermind"
What do you think about this? Do you think Nirvana sold out? Personally, I think the album is totally grunge, and i don't really think it's their fault if every teen in the nineties caught onto it... just my opinion.
Holding back the fool again.

incessantmace
Site Admin
Posts: 13879
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:56 am
Location: North Germany

Re: Nirvana - Sellouts?

Post by incessantmace » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:27 pm

depends, really. my guess would be that kurt meant the high amount of catchy tunes on nevermind, especially in comparson to the murky stuff on bleach; plus the cleaner production. i think he was kind of schizophrenic when it came to fame: after all, he did sign the contract with a major label, and he didn't have to. isn't that the same discussion everywhere? you start out as a band, and when things get rolling either you quit it or you hope to make it big. so sellout is a harsh term in any respect, and there are much, much worse examples for bands trying to make it - both musically and in terms of character - than nirvana and nevermind.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

Mithaearon
Grunge God
Posts: 3858
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:47 pm
Location: Your mum
Contact:

Re: Nirvana - Sellouts?

Post by Mithaearon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:12 am

Theres a cool quote from the movie Punk SLC which I think fits here:

"I didn't sell out son. I bought in."

No I don't consider Nirvana to sell out. TO me signing to a major is not selling out as long as your intentions for making music remain the same. By signing to a major you are just spreading you music to more people and getting the word across. But if you sign with a major just for the money and fame then that is selling it, its nots the major that causes this though but the reason for you making music. Heck you could sign to the smallest indy label but only do it for the same reason (money and fame) I would still call you a sell out.

So no Nirvana did not sell out. They still made the music they wanted to make in the way they wanted to make, albeit with a bit more spit and polish on it. They didn't start making some weak arse pop rubbish.

Daffy
Grunge God
Posts: 7102
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:40 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Nirvana - Sellouts?

Post by Daffy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:30 am

blahh..all this talk about sellouts is just fucking lame...

lets make a sellout list: hmmm...lets start with nirvana...they sold millions of records by releasing nevermind....so they has to be sellouts!! yhea.........and metallica...they changed their music after they sold millions of albums so they have to be sellouts!!! ohh yhea!! and the sex pistols!! they went on a reuinon tour...SELLOUTS!!!! and then you got green day...who released another album and suddenly got big again...SELLOUT!!! ohh and the distillers released coral fang who wasnt as punk as the two other albums..SELLOUTS!!! ohh and we musnt forget that faith no more is back to play a festival tour this summer...i guess that makes them sellouts as well...mastodon has more clean vocals on the new album then the other album...that DEF makes them sellouts!! alice in chains is back with a new singer...SELLOUTS! and sepultura...DEF SELLOUTS....ohh yhea...and AC\DC
NEW SINGLE FROM TRIPOD!! SAFE PLACE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMD2YBJ ... e=youtu.be

Mithaearon
Grunge God
Posts: 3858
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:47 pm
Location: Your mum
Contact:

Re: Nirvana - Sellouts?

Post by Mithaearon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:41 am

yep!

Basically you could say as soon as a band signs that record label contract even on a small time 2 bit indy label, they have sold out so don't worry about it. If you like the music and that music sings to you then its all cool moe dee to me.

incessantmace
Site Admin
Posts: 13879
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:56 am
Location: North Germany

Re: Nirvana - Sellouts?

Post by incessantmace » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:57 am

haha, daffy, i just love your way :lol:
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

Daffy
Grunge God
Posts: 7102
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:40 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Nirvana - Sellouts?

Post by Daffy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:57 am

incessantmace wrote:haha, daffy, i just love your way :lol:
hehe :D thank you :D
NEW SINGLE FROM TRIPOD!! SAFE PLACE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMD2YBJ ... e=youtu.be

Daffy
Grunge God
Posts: 7102
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:40 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Nirvana - Sellouts?

Post by Daffy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:08 am

i hate the word sellout...its just so fucking stupid. im in music for music...give me good musicians who sings from his\hers heart...i could not care any less if that person has more money than me or less....and thats what its all about isnt it...money..."sad but true" to quote people blamed for selling out...
NEW SINGLE FROM TRIPOD!! SAFE PLACE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMD2YBJ ... e=youtu.be

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:16 pm

Re: Nirvana - Sellouts?

Post by infinitegrunge » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:30 am

That doesn't have anything to do with it. I don't have time to explain it but I will later

Daffy
Grunge God
Posts: 7102
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:40 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Nirvana - Sellouts?

Post by Daffy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:21 pm

i know all to well about the ideology about selling out....but it seems like everyone points the finger out when someone sings to a bigger label....and thats just stupid..but please...tell me your opinion of whats selling out..ive heard them all.
NEW SINGLE FROM TRIPOD!! SAFE PLACE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMD2YBJ ... e=youtu.be

Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God
Posts: 17944
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:53 pm
Location: Texas : The Ultimate RED(neck) state

Re: Nirvana - Sellouts?

Post by Pennyroyaltea » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:06 pm

Daffy wrote:i hate the word sellout...its just so fucking stupid. im in music for music...give me good musicians who sings from his\hers heart...i could not care any less if that person has more money than me or less....and thats what its all about isnt it...money..."sad but true" to quote people blamed for selling out...
Sellouts to me - a person who was once in it for the music, but now only in it for the money or recignition/fame

i honestly feel that sell outs are those bands that are ONLY in it for the money, like what daffy said metallica's album sold millions, SELLOUTS, no, just more popular, metallica to me did it for the love of it, that it became popular is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MATTER!!

And as for nirvana selling out, im tried of hearing that, they didnt in my opionin sell out because when they created nevermind, they didnt have the intention of selling millions, i saw in The Grunge Years, that nevermind wasnt expected to even sell as many albums as Sonic Youth had
shanze wrote:And you will. You will.

Then you put your spell on him and Jerry shall be yours.

FOREVER!

Daffy
Grunge God
Posts: 7102
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:40 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Nirvana - Sellouts?

Post by Daffy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:21 pm

Pennyroyaltea wrote:
Daffy wrote:i hate the word sellout...its just so fucking stupid. im in music for music...give me good musicians who sings from his\hers heart...i could not care any less if that person has more money than me or less....and thats what its all about isnt it...money..."sad but true" to quote people blamed for selling out...
Sellouts to me - a person who was once in it for the music, but now only in it for the money or recignition/fame

i honestly feel that sell outs are those bands that are ONLY in it for the money, like what daffy said metallica's album sold millions, SELLOUTS, no, just more popular, metallica to me did it for the love of it, that it became popular is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MATTER!!

And as for nirvana selling out, im tried of hearing that, they didnt in my opionin sell out because when they created nevermind, they didnt have the intention of selling millions, i saw in The Grunge Years, that nevermind wasnt expected to even sell as many albums as Sonic Youth had
the record company expexted them to sell 50 000 copies....i guess that makes them sellouts....the word sellout has souldout!
NEW SINGLE FROM TRIPOD!! SAFE PLACE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMD2YBJ ... e=youtu.be

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:16 pm

Re: Nirvana - Sellouts?

Post by infinitegrunge » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:07 pm

Pennyroyaltea wrote: And as for nirvana selling out, im tried of hearing that, they didnt in my opionin sell out because when they created nevermind, they didnt have the intention of selling millions, i saw in The Grunge Years, that nevermind wasnt expected to even sell as many albums as Sonic Youth had
Look, you're wrong about that. It's true that Nevermind wasn't expected by the record label to sell a lot, but Kurt said many times that they sold out. The most telling thing is he said he let Butch Vig use poppy production values because he wanted it to be more popular, he even said the only reason they signed to Geffen was because he wanted to make more money since he couldn't see himself doing anything but play in a band as his job. You can think about it however you want, but Nevermind was a sellout record. Who are you going to trust? I'm trusting the man himself. I think a lot of people can't reconcile the fact that Nirvana can be a good band, but like all normal people, they make mistakes. Some people (and I'm not necessarily talking about you) idolize Kurt in an unhealthy way and can't allow themselves to think he would do anything unethical.

Luckily for us, Kurt realized his mistake and made In Utero which is one of the best albums of the 90's and is probably the closest radio has ever gotten to Noise Rock.
Last edited by infinitegrunge on Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daffy
Grunge God
Posts: 7102
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:40 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Nirvana - Sellouts?

Post by Daffy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:11 pm

yup...thats right...your opinon.
NEW SINGLE FROM TRIPOD!! SAFE PLACE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMD2YBJ ... e=youtu.be

Daffy
Grunge God
Posts: 7102
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:40 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Nirvana - Sellouts?

Post by Daffy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:43 pm

well...you said it :) so i guess you know what its supposed to mean... 8|
NEW SINGLE FROM TRIPOD!! SAFE PLACE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMD2YBJ ... e=youtu.be

Post Reply