I have a co-worker who went to the infamous Argentina show

Come as you are if you feel stupid and contagious, come over here and entertain us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

I have a co-worker who went to the infamous Argentina show

Post by KristinNirvana » Mon May 27, 2019 10:52 pm

For those that know, Nirvana played in Argentina in I think 1992, with Calamity Jane opening, but the crowd was being really sexist to them, calling them sluts or something and throwing things at them, so of course that pissed Kurt off. I have a co-worker who is originally from Argentina, is like 44, moved here in '96, but he went to the Argentina show back then. He said he wasn't even a fan of theirs beforehand but his uncle or someone had a radio station and played them and figured he should go see them since he played their music, so he took my coworker, and he told me it was his favorite show and that they were so pissed off about how Calamity Jane were treated that they almost didn't play, but they decided to not play the hits and just play Insecticide instead. He has played them at work as well as Soundgarden. See, it pays to live in Seattle! You meet all sorts of cool people with stories of the origional grunge scene.

I had another co-worker who had a ton more stories than that. He went to college with Kim Thayil I think it was. He knew several of the guys in the bands, and went to endless shows, and was a part of this locally famous all-ages house venue in Bellingham. He quit a few months ago though but it was cool to hear stuff like that.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support

Canucker
Grunge God

Re: I have a co-worker who went to the infamous Argentina show

Post by Canucker » Thu May 30, 2019 10:00 am

That is pretty awesome! I just read a bunch about the Argentina show in the book "I found my Friends" which is the best Nirvana book I've read in ages because its one of those Oral History type books that I love so much so its people who were there expressing their points of view and opinions rather then a writer reciting fourth hand information. Anyways they talk more about that show then I've ever heard before. After reading it I checked out some of that show on Youtube.... couldn't find the Calamity Jane parts of course but the Nirvana set is hilarious! The way they were dicking around was hilarious and took guts!

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:39 am

That's cool, I'll have to look that up.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:23 pm

Check out the book too.... I got it from the library to read at my uncles cottage....told my cousin it was a good one and that I'd probably buy it at a second hand bookstore when I found it (not if) and since its a Nirvana book it would be an easy find....on the way home from the cottage I stop in at a record store.... and there it was used for $2.99!!!!!