Question: Nirvana stuff on New York?

Come as you are if you feel stupid and contagious, come over here and entertain us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

jinjonboo
Grunge fan

Question: Nirvana stuff on New York?

Post by jinjonboo » Mon May 06, 2019 5:14 am

Hey guys!

I'm from Europe (Portugal), i'm going to visit New York soon, i was wondering if you guys could point me in some cool places where Nirvana/Kurt has been in NY, or where cool pictures were taken, so i can take some pictures etc :) that's the closest i'll ever be from Nirvana in real life so, any help would be appreciated :)

I read somewhere that the MTV Unplugged studios where MTV Unplugged was recorded changed place, but can it still be visited?

Cheers guys, thanks in advance

XsInMyEyes
Grunge fanatic

Re: Question: Nirvana stuff on New York?

Post by XsInMyEyes » Mon May 06, 2019 6:55 am

There is/was no such place as MTV Unplugged studios...the MTV Unplugged shows by various bands were filmed at a number of different locations. The location where Nirvana's MTV Unplugged was filmed was Sony Music Studios, which has been closed for 12 years, I dont know if it can still be visited. Related: I've seen the building where Alice in Chains filmed their Unplugged, the Brooklyn Academy of Music (but I didn't know that then)...but I didn't go inside it...if any band I get together ever tours the States, I always wanted to play there.
There's a location in Hoboken, New Jersey...directly across the Hudson river from Chelsea, Manhattan where Nirvana (1989...Kurt, Krist, Chad, Jason) notably had a photo taken near the waterfront (to be specific, this one:https://i.redd.it/zb79d250g0oy.jpg)....Hoboken aint an enormous place but I cant identify the location precisely...I'll tell you where if I find it though.
I miss the comfort in being sad.

jinjonboo
Grunge fan

Post by jinjonboo » Mon May 06, 2019 7:17 am

thanks for the reply XsInMyEyes.

Ah, ok, i didn't know that, thanks! i guess i'll try to find out if i can still visit the Sony Music Studios. If you know more details about the photo that would be awesome too :)

by the way, is there any place were some random Nirvana/Kurt items are displayed? Usually Hard Rock Cafe has stuff like that, like used clothes and stuff like that.

Sorry for the so basic questions but i've been so full with work i haven't been able to prepare this trip conveniently.

Any other recommendation is very welcome!! thanks!!

Cheers

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Thu May 09, 2019 7:50 pm

Why do I feel like I've read that the MTV Unplugged was recorded in the MTV Unplugged Studio.... such scammers!