How old were you when Nevermind came out?

Come as you are if you feel stupid and contagious, come over here and entertain us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Re: How old were you when Nevermind came out?

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:02 pm

I was two years old when Nirvana released Nevermind.

I first heard them through my grunge-obsessed uncle when I was eleven or twelve (early 2001), though I’d already been well aware of them and of Kurt Cobain, through the Foo Fighters connection. I first got my own physical copy of Nevermind a few months later, maybe my twelfth birthday but I’m not sure. I still own that very copy.

That basically started a lifelong appreciation for grunge.

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:43 pm

holy crap! I'm shocked at how many views this thread got.....I was just as shocked to see that I started it HAHAHAHAHA! How is it so many views yet there are like four people that still come here these days?

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:59 am

Y2K-kyle wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:48 am
Didn't even exist yet when Nevermind came out
I knew I responded but to be precious Nevermind came out 1 year, 6 months and 10 days before I was born XD

HOWEVER, I got it when I was 17 years old roughly, can't remember exactly.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep
incessantmace wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:56 am
I tried to seduce my wife by singing Big Dumb Sex to her once. Didn't work out though, I dunno why

evee103
Site Admin

Post by evee103 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:34 am

Omg going back a page here and seeing my face was hilarious!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But anyways, I was 1 year old :lol: But as yous may know I have a pretty vivid memory so I remember watching their unplugged on MTV with my mom and loving them as a 3 year old. I then borrowed a friends Nevermind CD in high school and listened to that religiously every morning while doing my hair. When I had to give it back I burned myself a copy that I listened to all the time up until 2008. Haven't listened to Nirvana since... :?
The Jeevies. It's a feeling you get.
Sorlag wrote:You're releasing on Mini CD? I thought that format was as dead as this forum

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:30 pm

what happened in 2008? sounds like there is a story there.

evee103
Site Admin

Post by evee103 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:57 pm

I graduated high school and lost my nevermind cd. That's all :lol:
Sorlag wrote:You're releasing on Mini CD? I thought that format was as dead as this forum

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:33 pm

I stopped listening to them for about ten years so its not like I can hold it against you.

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:08 pm

It's very now and then for me. Now I have a copy of Nevermind on vinyl I may listen to it that way more often than the last few years.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep
incessantmace wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:56 am
I tried to seduce my wife by singing Big Dumb Sex to her once. Didn't work out though, I dunno why

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:23 pm

I'm sure I've answered to this thread before but I was almost fifteen back then. All the cool people listened to it while I rather played my Marc Cohn record on repeat.

And Evee that post/picture combination is truly epic :lol:
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

evee103
Site Admin

Post by evee103 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:13 pm

incessantmace wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:23 pm
I'm sure I've answered to this thread before but I was almost fifteen back then. All the cool people listened to it while I rather played my Marc Cohn record on repeat.

And Evee that post/picture combination is truly epic :lol:
Lmfao, I went back one page totally surprised to see myself looking back at me :lol: :lol: :lol: Completely forgot about that, so long ago now!

Exoddus
Grunge fan

Post by Exoddus » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:25 pm

I wasn't too far off 5 when Nevermind came out.

Started listening to Nirvana when I was 13 (almost 14) in December 2000. One of my older cousins came over and dropped off a bunch of "new" albums for me and my sister to copy off and listen to over Christmas (My mother had an external CD ripper/burner which cost a fortune back in 2000).

They were:

"Hybrid Theory" released October 2000, "Wheatus" released August 2000, "Conspiracy of One" released November 2000 and Nevermind. I can still remember having the albums spreads over my bed deciding which one to play first. I remember all the artwork like it was yesterday.

Never heard of Nirvana at the time but as all the other albums had featured quite heavily in the UK charts (I'm British) at the time. I just assumed Nevermind was also a new album.

Played all of them a lot over Christmas but absolutely loved Nevermind the most. I must have played Nevermind everyday for about 6 months. I remember opening up the album and seeing the murky picture of Nirvana and rightly assumed that the guy in the middle with his finger up to the camera was the singer.

Then in 2001 having a conversation with a bunch of my peers in senior school. I mentioned my favorite band was Nirvana (solely because of Nevermind lol) . Some kid then told me he didn't like Nirvana much as he happened to have bought Bleach a few months before as an impulse buy. We discussed Nirvana and agreed that he'll make me a copy of Bleach if I made him a copy of Nevermind.

So we swapped them in school the next day. I loved Bleach too with "blew" being my favorite song on the album at that time.

A few months later I found another kid in school who owned MTV Unplugged in New York. We agreed a swap. This time I had to give him a copy of Bleach as he already owned Nevermind. It was him who causally brought up Kurt Cobain and his suicide. We didn't have the internet until 2002. I was absolutely gutted. I had no idea that this guy, Kurt Cobain killed himself 6 years before I even started to listen to Nervermind.

Then he told me about Nevermind being from 1991 (never read the copyright as it was given back to my older cousin once we copied it off). I thought it was new being from 2000. After I played MTV Unplugged in New York. It made me really sad. I felt like Nirvana had proven their true talent with that show considering it was live as well. Even my mother and father liked the album (especially Man Who Sold the World). They bought me the album "Nirvana" for Christmas the year after and I was absolutely blown away by "You Know You're Right".

Sorry for the long winded story but I actually enjoyed writing that. Happy memories. Like others have said. I don't listen to Nirvana anywhere near like I used too, but they are still my fav band maybe...Close with AiC.

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:47 pm

Nothing wrong with being long winded on things you are passionate about. That was a cool story.

swamptoad
Grunge fan

Post by swamptoad » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:21 am

I think that I was only 14 years old whenever I first got the album. I fell in love right away with Lithium (just really liked the mellowness and the bass grooves.) But I loved every song on the album. I did a lot of "beginner" skateboarding back then so listening to Nirvana really felt good for skateboarding at the time as well.