In Utero v. Nevermind v. Bleach (Best Nirvana Studio Album?)

Come as you are if you feel stupid and contagious, come over here and entertain us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug

Stratocaster JR.
Grunge fan

In Utero v. Nevermind v. Bleach (Best Nirvana Studio Album?)

Post by Stratocaster JR. » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:42 am

NIRVANA

In Utero
Super edgy and raw, and unlike any other, In Utero completely goes against and rejects
any purists with Kurt's Screams and Yells. It is unlike any Nirvana album. Sold 15 million copies.

Nevermind
The album that came to define a generation. Hugely famous.
Featuring "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Come As You Are" Sold over 30 million copies.

Bleach
Bleach was the beggining of Nirvana, and it was made off a 600 dollar budget. Only 5 million copies
were sold, however, it wasn't anything loose of sounding amazing, as it was their jumpstart to fame.

I think its In Utero, How about you?

sadie

Re: In Utero v. Nevermind v. Bleach (Best Nirvana Studio Album?)

Post by sadie » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:52 am

In Utero for sure.
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

BleedTheFreak
Grunge guru

Post by BleedTheFreak » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:49 am

Bleach is the heaviest, sludgiest album that Nirvana ever did, that said, it's also the poorest in quality and the final lyrics for most of the songs were written almost overnight, it also lacks most of Nirvana's signature individual sound, with mixing by Jack Endino in 1988-89, it has the generic Sub-Pop production quality/sound of the time and instrumentally comes across as more of a Melvins/Celtic Frost/Black Sabbath/Black Flag fanfare, which it no doubt was (this is excluding About A Girl and Love Buzz).

Nevermind is the band at their most prettiest, prepped up, mainstream rock stardom, all the songs are almost overproduced with a noticeable glare of shiniest, the songs are much more catchy here than anything on Bleach, the first half of the album relying entirely on power-chord riffs, though Grohl's drumming makes it more than tolerable, the songs however are repetitive radio song and don't have much depth beyond face value, however the later half of the album which is mostly skipped over is where the album get's interesting or dull, depending on which part of Nirvana you're interested in, particularly Drain You, Territorial Pissings, Lounge Act and On A Plain is where Nirvana takes some time to really develop what sound they want going for them (more of this can be found on Incesticide).

In Utero is the band's magnum opus in my opinion, it's everything Kurt Cobain set out to achieve from day one, and an album that Kurt and the band took it's time developing, writing and recording, without the control or forced sound influence of Sub Pop or DGC. It is the most noisiest and abrasive of the three albums, and almost harks back to the heaviness of Bleach, while keeping up with the catchiness of Nevermind, and all without taking the sludge or glam with it. The songs on this album are probably some of the strongest that the band has written, and notably different from anything the band had done before -- especially lyrically from Cobain, where he really shows his talent for songwriting. Steve Albini's production is astonishing and really brings out the real vibe and energy that the band had when they played live (listen to the 'Live & Loud' show for example). There is also some really abstract concepts played with in songs like Very Ape, Milk It and Radio Friendly Unit Shifter that make me wonder what we might of heard from the band as a whole if they had stuck together.
"Black windows of paint; I scratched with my nails." | "In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies."
instagram | grunge tumblr | 90's tumblr | No, I still don't listen to Pearl Jam.

chrissssc
Grunge fan

Post by chrissssc » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:15 am

Has anyone heard tue band past regret?? I could only find them on soundcloud but they sound exactly like nirvan amazingggg.