What the!?

Before Pearl Jam there was Mother Love Bone, before Mother Love Bone there was...Malfunkshun!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

grunger_matt
Grunge guru

What the!?

Post by grunger_matt » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:42 am

I stole this from a website

Although it never recorded a full-length album or toured outside Washington state, Seattle band Malfunkshun is often cited as an important band amid the grunge family tree. Now, 16 years after the death of singer Andy Wood, Malfunkshun is reactivating.

An anomaly amid bands playing back-to-basics rock'n'roll, Malfunkshun featured the white makeup-faced Wood alongside his guitarist brother Kevin, who shredded like Yngwie Malmsteen, creating a punk/speed metal hybrid. To craft new Malfunkshun music, Kevin and fellow surviving member Regan Hagar have pacted with singer Shawn Smith (Satchel, Brad) and bassist Cory Kane.

"I have a stack of Andy's lyrics that I've been hanging onto for the past 15 years or so, since he died -- I never gave them up," Wood tells Billboard.com. "And they're all from the early '80s, when Andy was about 14 through 16. I always wanted to make songs out of them."

After Wood and Hagar initially decided to work together on the project, Wood reached out to Smith. "I called Shawn the day before the session, and he said, 'I'll do it.' He told me he had a dream about Andy right before I had emailed him to come in," he says. "The whole thing is like a gift from Andy - and Shawn did such good interpretations of these lyrics."

An album's worth of tunes was recorded, mixing new versions of vintage Malfunkshun songs such as "Love Child" and "My Love" with freshly penned cuts like "Another You," "Friendship Ring" and "He's a Mover." Also featured is a rearrangement of "Man of Golden Words" by Mother Love Bone, which Andy Wood formed post-Malfunkshun with future Pearl Jam members Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament.

Although the recording is completed, the group is in search of a label to put out the album, which also goes by title of "Friendship Ring." Once the album is released, the quartet plans to launch a supporting tour. "We definitely want to tour and support it as much as possible. Me, Shawn, Regan and Cory are going to go out as a four-piece," Wood says.

Wood also assures that the group's original over-the-top approach remains intact on the new recordings, and that his brother would have approved. "Malfunkshun was always into the fast, shredding guitars," he says. "It's true-to-form as far as Malfunkshun goes -- it's a continuation of that same vibe. I miss Andy being there, but I feel that his presence is there. I know his approval was there."

I wasnt sure at firs, but with sawn smith on vocals it might be cool, whaddya think?
I shouldn't even be here today

mood fo lemac

Post by mood fo lemac » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:57 am

these news are shocking...

I also really like shawn smith
and it really seems that theyre doing it for the good reasons
but
thing is
and if they didn't notice it theyre mad

andy wood is inreplacable

how can they not see that there isn't malfunkshun or mother love bone without andy wood?...

anyway it would be really intresting to hear and I bet that if the intentions are well then it will turn out just as well... its done in respect towards andy... and it will give a chance to hear more stuff he wrote... this could turn out cool
and then?

grunger_matt
Grunge guru

Post by grunger_matt » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:00 am

I know, i love Shawn Smiths voice, but im not sure that he could compete with Andy Wood, also it sounds like theyre doing it for the right reasons, so im looking forward to it :D

grunger_matt
Grunge guru

Post by grunger_matt » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:53 am

It says on whammybox that theyre calling in Subfunkshun :D

mood fo lemac

Post by mood fo lemac » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:46 am

its cool that they decided to change the name... and its a good one
and then?

grungefan550
Grunge maniac

Post by grungefan550 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:46 pm

well malfunkshun was as much Kevins band as it was Andy's, Andy is just more well known that his brother, Sure its a shame Andy won't be there, but if Kevin wants to continue as Malfunshun or Subfunkshun, then he has every right too...isnt Alice in Chains as much Jerry Cantrell's band as it was Laynes? But sweet, hopefully they'll leave Seattle and tour here in Texas
And Your Body Shakes...

sera_jam

Post by sera_jam » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:29 am

Hey, anyone else heard Kevin's band HippieGlitz? It may have been brought up before, I dunno.
I like some of their songs :D
They were giving out their music free on their website and I got loads :)
Rachel dreamt about this..

grunger_matt
Grunge guru

Post by grunger_matt » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:13 pm

i like hippieglitz :D

sera_jam

Post by sera_jam » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:15 pm

fav songs?

Time 4 Liver and Planet Of The Apes I think ... :D
lol, i think i'll start a thread...
Rachel dreamt about this..

grunge_grrrl
Grunge fanatic

Post by grunge_grrrl » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:37 pm

Nope, haven't heard them. Something else to check out... :)
http://www.justiceforkurt.com
Grunge will never die.

kurtdaniel
Grunge fanatic

Re: What the!?

Post by kurtdaniel » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:07 pm

wow their sooooooo cool. Ive just begun listening to them recently.. i really love the they play music..

inzedit
Grunge maniac

Post by inzedit » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:20 am

shawn smith isn't like Andy wood, but i think that the only other singer that can play Andy's lyrics is Cornell.
They're the only ones who can give the right tone to his words, they can understand him better than any other
I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave,
Trust me Trust me Trust me

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:45 am

inzedit wrote:shawn smith isn't like Andy wood, but i think that the only other singer that can play Andy's lyrics is Cornell.
They're the only ones who can give the right tone to his words, they can understand him better than any other
They already have a new lead singer in Jeff Lofis, a Seattle Scene alumni. And they already slated a couple of tour dates. Jeff is actually really good, of course he's no Andy, but he's a solid vocalist.

malfunkshun333
Grunge maniac

Post by malfunkshun333 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:47 am

SayHello2Heaven wrote:
inzedit wrote:shawn smith isn't like Andy wood, but i think that the only other singer that can play Andy's lyrics is Cornell.
They already have a new lead singer in Jeff Lofis, a Seattle Scene alumni. And they already slated a couple of tour dates. Jeff is actually really good, of course he's no Andy, but he's a solid vocalist.
Thanks. Nobody can be Andy.... I miss that man like no other, too!