Who do you like more?

Before Pearl Jam there was Mother Love Bone, before Mother Love Bone there was...Malfunkshun!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug

Malfunkshun vs. Mother Love Bone

Malfunkshun
21%
Mother Love Bone
79%

Total votes: 19

boxcar
Site Admin

Who do you like more?

Post by boxcar » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:29 pm

This part of the board is too quiet. Who do you like better? Do you wish Andy would have stayed with Malfunkshun or maybe Mother Love Bone was his best work?

SayHello2Heaven

Re: Who do you like more?

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:33 pm

Mother Love Bone easily. Malfunkshun was, to some degree Andy's high school band, when he and the rest of the guys got to MLB they were more developed, had a lot of musical expereince under their belt and clicked. Malfunkshun was good, but they seemed to lack in certain areas. When everyone got to MLB everyone was experienced and knew how to make a great band....Semmed like they all gelled.

Beeswax
Grunge God

Post by Beeswax » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:06 am

Mother Love Bone. Sure, maybe Malfunkshun's sound was more "grunge" (with MLB being rather glam), but musically, MLB was far ahead of MF. For me, Malfunkshun was just a try-out, before MLB, because you can hear quite clearly that everyone evolved. Sad that MLB didn't last long, who knows what may have come out of that group... Maybe they would've been Nirvana, if you know what I mean. :)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/rissa333/andycolorbar.png[/img]

mad_submarine
Grunge zealot

Post by mad_submarine » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:26 am

Hahaaa, I'm the only one who voted Malfunkshun! And it is that way for me, let's explain why. Firstly, to me Return to Olympus is one of the albums to define 'grunge' sound. This is how grunge should sound - rough, honest and quick. And yeah, that album is also in the top of my favourites <3
[color=#004000]I've got a lack.
A lack of half way good and it's all my own.
Only Boris understands.[/color]

Desiderus
Grunge fanatic

Post by Desiderus » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:55 am

Return to Olympus was probably a more grungy recording than anything they did in MLB, but I voted for MLB because I really get happy whenever I listen to them :)
Check out my music blog at Death Valley '88

inzedit
Grunge maniac

Post by inzedit » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:12 am

I voted MLB, cause Malfunkshun, to me, is only one the first attempts to create a new sound. I found MLB more complete, but unfortunately less rough!
[i][b][color=#FF8000]I'd like to daze away to a place no one has known in a state of mind I could call mine, that only I could own. Where I could hum a tune anytime I choose and then there is no such thing as time[/color][/b][/i]
[img]http://carolstrange.zip.net/images/shannon_hoon.jpg[/img]

nicos
Grunge fan

Post by nicos » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:39 am

Beeswax wrote:Mother Love Bone. Sure, maybe Malfunkshun's sound was more "grunge" (with MLB being rather glam),. :)
I dunno Malfunkshun's sound was quite grungy however I would not call MLB's sound Glam.when the phrase Glam is used to describe a sound naturally i would think of Glam Metal with all its over the top vocals over the top guitar solo's (hell everything was over the top with Glam metal) and of course there's the Glam punk bands who looked glam but sounded kinda punk (maybe MLB had a bit of that) and then there's the glam bands of the 70's some very pop oriented & MLB definitely didn't sound like that (though Andrew Wood's voice has been compared to Mark Boland's) But l i think MLB were rather unique. people call it love rock that's as close a description ive heard so far. Id sum it up as is hard rock w fuzzy guitars and Andy's really cool Lyrics and crazy stage presence. may be a touch of glam influence but not enough to cast them as that.

Fuzz Face
Grunge prophet

Post by Fuzz Face » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:39 am

I voted for MLB , because they did songs to remember, it was nothing one would listen to, thinking of it as merely nice tunes forgetting them the minute after the song is ending... And I feel that makes a good band after all...

subpop1999
Grunge God

Post by subpop1999 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:05 pm

I voted for Mf because as one other said, they were more grungey. I definitely agree MLB was more developed and everyone was better in every aspect, but genre wise, Mf won my vote.

Let's bring this topic back. It's been too long.
Fuck this American bullshit, I'm from Yorkshire, and it's Yorkshire day. Let's go eat some tatties and Yorkshire pudding.

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:38 am

Never keen on either, but I'd rather hear MLB.