The Melvins

For discussions on King Buzzo's long running band

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

March2Fuzz
Grunge master

Post by March2Fuzz »

My favorite album is prolly Bullhead. Fukcing sludge-extreme-mania. Boris, anaconda, excorsism, your blessened all rock. I have all their early sludge albums. Ozma is also very cool. I dont dig the stuff after Stoner witch though, it all got a bit weird after that. I do like 1 song of stag though....Black Block (i think its called)

Leech Bucket
Grunge guru
Location: A place in a little small town. The only way to get there is to go straight down.

Post by Leech Bucket »

Well i don't dig the stuff betweeb stag and hostile ambient takeover 'cause hostile ambient takeover was when they went back to their old music. And now they're releasing a lot of posthumous albums. Also, they were awsome when they worked with jello.

Leech Bucket
Grunge guru
Location: A place in a little small town. The only way to get there is to go straight down.

Post by Leech Bucket »

Ya know Dale says "everybody thinks [ozma/gluey porch treatments] is their favorite album but they're wrong"

Also i currently have houdini and mangled demos from 1983. I want to get millenium monsterwork (the melvins/fantômas album) or hostile ambient takeover.
Jesus built my car
It’s a love affair
Mainly jesus and my hot rod

Leech Bucket
Grunge guru

Post by Leech Bucket »

Jesus built my car
It’s a love affair
Mainly jesus and my hot rod

Curmudgeon
Site Admin

Post by Curmudgeon »

My melvins CD collection:
-Deep Six compilation
-Mangled Demos from 1983
-10 Songs (I e-mailed Daniel House of C/Z in 2000 to get this, he sent me a copy out his own personal collection, plus a Love Battery 7" I didn't even ask for...what an awesome guy)
-26 Songs
-Gluey Porch Treatments (2000 re-release)
-Ozma
-Bullhead
-Eggnog
-Lysol (1st pressing with the word "Lysol" on the cover)
-Houdini
-Prick
-Stoner Witch
-Stag
-Honky
-Singles 1-12
-The Maggot
-The Bootlicker
-The Crybaby
-Colossus of Destiny
-Electroretard
-Hostile Ambient Takeover
-Pigs of the Roman Empire
-Neither Here Nor There
-Never Breathe What You Can't See

plus LOTS of non-album MP3's.
and Sieg Howdy is on it's way via Amazon.com

Angst-Ridden
Grunge prophet

Post by Angst-Ridden »

i never even knew anyband had that many cd's..... are some of the singles or unofficial bootlegs?
>>>Insert cheesey saying or quote<<<

Curmudgeon
Site Admin

Post by Curmudgeon »

No sir, every one of those is official! 8)
By the way, I forgot to mention that I also have the "King Buzzo" solo EP, I used to have Dale Crover's but someone stole it...bastard.
Image Image

Grungy
Grunge fanatic

Post by Grungy »

Houdini rules 8)
ég gaf ykkur von sem varð að vonbrigðum.. þetta er ágætis byrjun

Curmudgeon
Site Admin

Post by Curmudgeon »

"Prick" overview and song-by-song analysis.

Overview: Yes, it was released as kind of a joke. A 'noise' album of sorts. Meant to purge the idiots who got into them because of the more "commercial" stuff on Houdini, but did not fully understand what the band is all about. Honestly, it can be a pretty challenging listen. The only people that may like this will be the true 'die-hards'. If you truly love this band and must have everything (like me) then go ahead and buy it. They released it on Amphetamine Reptile, and to avoid any legal issues with Atlantic they printed the band's name backwards on the cover and also, in the liner notes said "The Melvins appear courtesy of Atlantic Records" But anyway, I got nothing better to do, so here is a song by song review, hope this helps.

1. How About (4:15): Starts with the sound of birds chirping along with Dale occasionally hitting random toms. A preacher is rambling on about how he was living in sin and one day found Jesus and gave up drugs and whatnot. Every now and then you'll hear a little drum and guitar and vocal thing going ('chug-chug' Hey!). Eventually a t.v. interview begins with a guy talking about Elvis Presley coming through some place. In the background the birds continue chirping, and random sounds like sirens, horns and feedback and other weirdness continue throughout.

2. Rickets (1:20): An actual 'song' of sorts. Dale keeps a steady beat while the guitar and bass drone the same distorted note bending ever so slightly and Buzz sings nonsense in a very hushed tone.

3. Pick It N' Flick It (1:39): The Melvins take on Van Halen's "Eruption". Starts with Dale doing a few-second drum solo then the band plays two chords. Then eventually turns into a wonderfully overblown and ridiculous guitar solo.

4. Montreal (4:09): Recorded live in Montreal. Dale randomly hitting symbols for about 10 seconds at the beginning, followed mostly by crowd noises of people whistling and yelling throughout the rest of the 'song'. At about 1:20 Dale starts doing snare rolls and random drum hits about every 10 to 20 seconds. At about 3 minutes the audience chants "Primus! Primus! Primus!" for about 15 secs. then stops. Dale continues his random drum hits.

5. Chief Ten Beers (6:28 ) 6 minutes of one guitar playing a clean-toned country-like riff with alot of reverb, while someone sings complete nonsense in a Native American like tribal singing style, the 'drums' are COMPLETELY random (a high hat; and the other 'beat' is Dale just randomly tapping the metal rim on the edge of the drum with a drumstick), the lead guitar plays random one and two-note 'leads' that get very annoying. Various sounds like a horn section come in and out at random.

6. Underground (2:20) Sounds like someone recorded it at a mall. You hear people talking and various things going on that just have that closed-in-mall sound to it. Starts of with someone strumming an old accoustic and singing country-western music. Because of how things fade in and out, I'm guessing someone just had a tape recorder on them and walked around a mall or something. Then the person walks away and you just hear random mall noise until the get to someone playing a pan-pipe or flute or something. The song sounds like something you'd hear at a Renaissance Festival or something like that.

7. Chalk People (1:16) Buzz randomly yells something that sounds like (socks...rocks it...awayyyyy) in a strange voice, and other nonsense while Dale plays random toms at a fast pace (sounds like the drum intro to Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher"...if the drummer was drunk, the bass is tuned extremely low, is heavily distorted and is just a buzzing sound, the guitar sounds like it's got some affect on it that makes whatever note is being played just go in and out, like someone's turning the volume up and down very quickly. And it's just an open e-string being played on the guitar, by the way. You can also hear one of those springy doorstop things being bent and released over and over.

8. Punch The Lion (3:14) Real drum-beat (finally) just keeps steadily playing while you hear people talking and clapping outtdoors. Church bells ring throughout. I swear I can also hear a kazoo in there...

9. Pure Digital Silence (1:32): Starts with someone talking in a very fake Brittish accent saying "And now, for your listening pleasure, a few moments of pure...digital...silence" followed by just that...silence...

10. Larry (2:59) The only real song on the whole album. It really has a rocking beat and will have you banging your head, nice and heavy song...only problem is...it's instrumental.

11. Roll Another One (14:20) More or less random 'songs' or whaever you call them followed by a few seconds of silence, next 'song' and so on. Starts with someone with their mouth RIGHT ON the microphone (imagine Kurt Cobain doing the "Hello Hello" part of Teen Spirit on Top of the Pops) saying "Rrrrrrrrrrooooooollllllll another one" (Whole thing takes about 35 seconds)

Few seconds of silence

Dale "Is it running?"
Random high guitar notes, similar to "Pick It 'n' Flick It" but much much worse.

silence

Drum beat that would become the first verse part of the 'Stoner Witch' song "Roadbull"...while someone moans like a freakin' ghost...

silence

Everyone singing in a chord over and over again saying "Jeff...Thomas...Jeff...Thomas...etc." No instruments, just an accapella fifth chord with one person singing out of key.

silence

drum stick click start, then guitar, bass, and drums playing random nonsense. stopping, random nonsense, stopping, random nonsense...etc

short silence

more random guitar, bass, drum noise...lots of symbol crashing, slight feedback.

(and all this is still only the first 5 minutes) :?

silence

random snare hits, someone yelling like crazy person in nonsense (trying to sound german I think) syllables, while feedback rolls all over the place and someone's making fart-like noises in the back, someone's babbling baby talk in a silly voice..."meeeniemoneeeminomeeenee"
ends with rolling feedback and someone sounding like they're crying

silence

Live crowd noises while Dale randomly hits the bass drum and a crash symbol (at the same time) at 5 second intervals for remainder of the track. (about 5-6 minutes)

go here: http://www.allmusic.com
lookup "Melvins" click on "discography" then "Prick"
then click on the speaker icon to the left of the song titles to hear samples.
Image Image

grunge_garfi
Grunge fan

Post by grunge_garfi »

i've got nine albums of them..
and my favourite is the crybaby, but there are so many great songs...
If I would, could you?

Zodiac
Grunge fanatic

Post by Zodiac »

the melvins are the best band ever. I almost own all their albums original :D Some are difficult to find

grungefan550
Grunge maniac

Post by grungefan550 »

yeah, they're a bitch to find, use amazon though...its ur best bet
And Your Body Shakes...

Zodiac
Grunge fanatic

Post by Zodiac »

grungefan550 wrote:yeah, they're a bitch to find, use amazon though...its ur best bet
I only still need electroretard, prick and hostile ambient. But hostile ambient is not difficult to find

Malfunkshun
Grunge fan

Post by Malfunkshun »

I have houdini and stoner witch... but Stoner witch is by far my favourit album ever. So beautiful, so technical and his voice is just crazy. Songs - Bullhead, shevil and of course Revolve
.:: Am I in a band? What do you mean, 'tonights show'? ::.

Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Re: The Melvins

Post by Pennyroyaltea »

fav. album - bullhead
song - going blind

*ha, i like to think that going blind is about me :D :wink:

And I know how it's to be
There is nothing more for you and I
Some are young and some are free
But I think I'm goin' blind

Cause, I think I'm goin' blind
And I know how it's to beeee
Little lady cancha see?
You are so young and so much different than I
Can't you see I'm going blind?
Cause, I think I'm going blind
Cause, I think I'm going blind
And I know how it's to be, yeah
Little lady can't you see
You're so young and so much different than I
I'm ninety thre-ee-ee-ee, you're sixteen
Can't you see I'm going blind
Yes I think I'm going blind
And I know how it's to be, yeah
shanze wrote:And you will. You will.

Then you put your spell on him and Jerry shall be yours.

FOREVER!