Sonic Evolution 2015 - Mad Season Reunion Show Video Thread

The grunge super supergroup

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug

deadly_bite
Grunge fan

Sonic Evolution 2015 - Mad Season Reunion Show Video Thread

Post by deadly_bite » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:50 pm

I haven't seen this anywhere, so I thought it would be nice to have all the videos from Mad Season's reunion show in one place :)

As you probably already know, Mad Season played a one-off reunion show on January 30, 2015 as part of the Seattle Symphony's Sonic Evolution initiative. The event took place at Seattle's Benaroya Hall (home of the Seattle symphony) and featured a pretty impressive number of guests - most prominently Chris Cornell and Duff McKagan, who filled in for Layne Staley and John Baker Saunders respectively.

Here are some videos from the night in set list order:

Waking the Horizon

An instrumental piece written by Mike McCready in collaboration with the Seattle Symphony especially for the occasion. I can see Matt Cameron's drum kit standing next to Mike, so there's a chance he might have been playing drums, even though it's not clear. Two other symphonic compositions were premiered that night (Ashes by Yann Robin and Beyond Much Difference by Angelique Poteat), but nobody seems to have recorded them LOL Contributions in that area would be very much appreciated.

Long Gone Day

Mark Lanegan was missed, but Chris Cornell dealt with his vocal parts as effortlessly as he did with Layne's. The song also featured Skerik, who played the saxophone on the original recording.

River of Deceit

Beautiful take on Mad Season's biggest classic. The Symphony felt a little weird here, imo, but the emotional depth of the band's performance makes up for it.

I Don't Know Anything

You can see the band going wild in this one :P The band carried on without the backing of the Symphony from this point.

Wake Up / Lifeless Dead / I'm Above

I'm not too thrilled about this part of the show, tbh, but of course that's a matter of personal taste.

Wake Up featured Kim Virant on vocal duties and Matt Cameron on drums, while Barrett Martin switched to the vibraphone. The band was flawless, but I personally found Kim's rendition of the song somewhat friviolous and lacking in subtlety.

Lifeless Dead featured vocals from Jefferson Angell. Not bad, but not great either.

Kim Virant returned to the stage for I'm Above. She took over Layne Staley's vocal parts while Jeff filled in for Mark Lanegan. In my opinion, their voices sounded better combined than they did separately, and Mark Lanegan's vocal register suited Angell better than Layne's. The song also featured Kim Virant's Lazy Susan bandmate Tim DiJulio on acoustic guitar.

Call Me a Dog / Reach Down - Temple of the Dog reunion

One of the biggest surprises of the night came when Mike McCready, Chris Cornell and Matt Cameron were joined on stage by Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard for an unannounced Temple of the Dog reunion. Fifteen minutes of pure awesomeness.

All Alone

The night ended with an emotional rendition of Above album closer All Alone. Matt Cameron and Barrett Martin split drumming duties, while Sean Kinney joined them on the congas. The vocals were perfromed by Layne Staley himself... on record, naturally.

For more information on the event, you can read this review by Northwest Music Scene as well as this longer-than-fucking-hell review I posted in my own blog a few months ago.