Jack Pepsi

Discuss the band for the gastral phenonemom lead singer here

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

sodajerk93
Grunge guru

Jack Pepsi

Post by sodajerk93 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:44 pm

Not really an earth-shattering topic, but who would agree with me that "Jack Pepsi" is one of the most kickass rock songs of all time? The crazy feedback is great, it has that distinctive Tad rhythm section thing going in the verses, the lyrics and the delivery are hilarious and kind of scary at the same time, and it's got a completely epic chorus. My seven- and twelve-year-old cousins heard it at my house one time and they still quote it like a movie ("And that's when I heard the most horrible sound I ever heard in my life!" "You're gonna have to settle down and breathe the air off the ruff!"). Just an all-around memorable song that should have gotten some radio play.
I took a journey to the pyramids, there was nothing there but sand, and the ghost of a child who had never been born. In a thousand years, no one planted trees there, so all that grew from the sand was stone.

SayHello2Heaven

Re: Jack Pepsi

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:13 pm

I like "Jack Pepsi", great song I love it personally. But I wouldn't say it's their best or a song that deserved more attention. I'm more keen on songs like "Plague Years", "Stumblin' Man" and even "Eddie Hook" I feel deserved more attention and were superior to Jack Pepsi. I agree it's a kickass song and I agree how amazing your description is of the song, but for me personally I hold different songs to that platform.

And while we're on this topic, here are some missing Peter Bragg Jack Pepsi artwork that I figured you'd enjoy 8D :

sodajerk93
Grunge guru

Post by sodajerk93 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Ha ha well I don't think it's their best either, but it might be their coolest. And despite how creepy it is, it's pretty catchy and I think it would have made a great radio hit for the band. Sucks they had all that legal bullshit just as they were getting really good, they could have been as big as Alice in Chains or Nirvana. And I have to agree, "Eddie Hook" is pretty chilling.

As for my favorite Tad song, I think it's "Gouge". Usually I'm into the really heavy songs which is why I like Tad in the first place, but "Gouge" is just beautiful. I love how their softest, mainly acoustic song is still incredibly heavy and powerful.

That artwork is kickass, I think I saw it in their Busted Circuits & Ringing Ears movie but I never got a good look at it. Very funny.
I took a journey to the pyramids, there was nothing there but sand, and the ghost of a child who had never been born. In a thousand years, no one planted trees there, so all that grew from the sand was stone.

bluearmageddon
Grunge guru

Post by bluearmageddon » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:31 am

I REALLY like this song for 2 huge reasons

1. The actual music is AMAZING, represents everything grungy

2. I REALLY like the format of the song. I really like the whole "storytelling" kind of song, where the singer isn't actually singing that much, but more just talking into the mike. Phenomenal work by Tad.
My name is Charlie. Talk to me. I don't bite (hard).
[i]I miss the comfort in being sad.[/i]

sodajerk93
Grunge guru

Post by sodajerk93 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:03 pm

bluearmageddon wrote:I REALLY like this song for 2 huge reasons

1. The actual music is AMAZING, represents everything grungy

2. I REALLY like the format of the song. I really like the whole "storytelling" kind of song, where the singer isn't actually singing that much, but more just talking into the mike. Phenomenal work by Tad.
Yeah I agree completely. Tad has always been best at the whole grungy guitar feedback thing, all their songs have that great raw atmosphere. And the storytelling part is amazing, even if it's supposed to be a joke.

SunnyJim

Post by SunnyJim » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:12 pm

cool song :)

I do like it's kind of creepy feel. But as for TAD I much prefer the song "Delinquent" the lyrics are kind of lame, and the verses aren't very creative but the chorus has a weird eerie melodic feel and the guitar is ridiculously cool :)

I also really like the other song you mentioned, Gouge.
Holding back the fool again.

bluearmageddon
Grunge guru

Post by bluearmageddon » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:26 pm

Long story short, Tad Doyle is the fucking man.
My name is Charlie. Talk to me. I don't bite (hard).
[i]I miss the comfort in being sad.[/i]

sodajerk93
Grunge guru

Post by sodajerk93 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:28 am

SunnyJim wrote:cool song :)

I do like it's kind of creepy feel. But as for TAD I much prefer the song "Delinquent" the lyrics are kind of lame, and the verses aren't very creative but the chorus has a weird eerie melodic feel and the guitar is ridiculously cool :)

I also really like the other song you mentioned, Gouge.
Yeah the lyrics on "Delinquent" are kind of dumb but I think it's intentionally that way. Tad's generally really great at lyrics. And yeah I love the chorus on that one too, it's like you're expecting a really catchy metal chorus and then it's just...lazy distorted guitar and mumbling. Tad's so cool and they're one of those bands that somehow got better with each album.

lasnot
Grunge fan

Post by lasnot » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:43 pm

I wanna party with Tad.

sodajerk93
Grunge guru

Post by sodajerk93 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:16 pm

lasnot wrote:I wanna party with Tad.
Me too!

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:49 am

sodajerk93
Grunge guru

Post by sodajerk93 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:38 pm

Haha that was funny but he pronounced "roof" wrong. Tad's way is better.

lasnot
Grunge fan

Post by lasnot » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:27 am

Ahahah yes! Help me Jack Pepsi!