Jeff's Fireside Chat - Green River

Some say Green River was the group that started it all. The band members would later go on to be in Mother Love Bone, Mudhoney and Pearl Jam. Come express your opinion on how grunge started and the role Green River had in its formation.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug

NCarolinasailor
Grunge fan

Jeff's Fireside Chat - Green River

Post by NCarolinasailor » Tue May 09, 2017 6:46 am

I am bored and wasting time at work so I thought we should get together and have a little talk about Green River, listen to some music, and discuss. For those of you too young to remember (and likely that includes everyone on line) Franklin D. Roosevelt gave his fireside chats starting in 1933 via the olde timey radio in order that we (the US) come together as a country and get on the same page about important issues. Why on Earth he didn't spin some Green River LPs we may never know for sure... Anyways pull up a chair, light a candle or some shit, and put on Green River's first EP - Come on Down from 1985... This one came out before Gluey Porch Treatments and Deep Six. It featured six songs:

Come on Down
New God
Swallow My Pride
Ride of Your Life
Corner of My Eye
Tunnel of Love

Have a listen to 'em all and then we will focus on each one in turn!

Some Background:
Put out by Homestead Records (out of NY) which had earlier released Dinosaur Jr.'s debut album, Sonic Youth's Bad Moon Rising, Death Valley '69, and U-Men's Stop Spinning EP and a bunch of stuff I haven't heard.
Produced by the almighty Chris Hanzsek (soon after of C/Z Records)

NCarolinasailor
Grunge fan

Re: Jeff's Fireside Chat - Green River

Post by NCarolinasailor » Tue May 09, 2017 8:07 am

First off, I love this record. It took me a while before I "got" what the Melvins were about and Green River is much more structured (if less technical). Anyways, first song...
Green River was named for the infamous Green River Killer (where his first victims were found). A horrible serial killer (confessed to at least 71 murders). The song seems to be about that. Might have been too soon to be considered tasteful but was certainly edgy.

It starts off with the ever popular feedback intro, so tough to replicate. The main riffs are quite easy and there are only two (one w/key change).

*work in progress
Key of D
Part A
F slide E
B-C-G

Part B
E-G-F# A-G-F#
D-F-E G-F-E

F slide E
D# slide D

A
C'mon down to the river...
B
Lift your eyes to the skies above
Come on in, feel my love
A little bit here, a little piece there
Pieces of love everywhere
A
B
The river runs shallow, the river goes deep
The river calls in your sleep
Dig this baby, now dig this hole
Your body's so warm, the river's so cold
And you're the one I want to hold*
You're the one I want to hold
You're the one to fill this hole
You're the one I got to hold

B (w/solo)

A

bubbles on the outro - awesome...
*again this guy went back to his victims for a bit of necrophilia; real winner here...

Screwed up reference, heavy, simple - what's not to love?

NCarolinasailor
Grunge fan

Re: Jeff's Fireside Chat - Green River

Post by NCarolinasailor » Thu May 11, 2017 2:46 am

song #2 - New God

The music is good enough but what are these lyrics; who would have thought Green River was into Viking metal. Trying to grab the chords I thought it might be in dropped D but I don't think so. The SG's Kim Thayil talking to King Buzzo said

"You were a big influence on Kurt and Nirvana, you influenced us and you had the same influence on Green River, even though they had a hard enough time playing in standard tuning, let alone bothering with dropped-D. They were trying to be like Aerosmith, no reason to worry about trying to be like Sabbath."

While I don't hear much Aerosmith in their sound I will trust they weren't quick to drop tune. They sure love the half note change here (a grunge standard)

Intro
E F - little run up and down
Part A
E F
Part B
B C Ab A F F#
D Ab Eb A E B F E

A
Why bow down to something else
When you can worship me
Bend over, receive my truth
It shall set you free
Free from the false gods
Who want offerings of gold
I demand no material things
I only want your soul

B (Chorus)
I don't want your money
Or anything you own
I'm really not asking for much
I only want your soul
I only want your soul

A
I'm the new god on the block
And I won't destroy the Earth
If you give me what I feed on
Born-again afterbirth
Give me your first born
Give me your last
And all those in between
If you don't you'll awaken my wrath
And I'll get ugly and mean

Chorus

The song dies out then comes back in before the second verse. The little riffs at the end of each line are crazy simple but really work well. Maybe some techie can tell us what effects are going on - may just be distortion but great tone. So yeah lyrics? eh a little over the top. "Bend over, receive my truth" - I am beginning to think Arm might be a tad misogynistic...