Do your looks reflect your musical taste?

Ripped jeans, flannel, facial hair, etc.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

incessantmace
Site Admin

Do your looks reflect your musical taste?

Post by incessantmace »

I know this is pretty close to the "Do You Dress Grungey?" topic but it just occurred to me that the outside and the inside of a person can be two very different things. Example in my case, I have a newish colleague at school who's a couple of years younger than me and really sports the hippie/alternative rock looks, completely with Chucks, ripped jeans, band tees, full beard and long hair. Me, I usually wear shirt, jeans and "serious" black shoes (you know which ones I mean. NOT Docs.) and have hav short hair for almost ten years now. (I do have a goatee but it doesn't really make me look grungy :ugeek: ) So one day we were standing in line at the xerox room when I noticed he was wearing a QOTSA "Rated R" shirt and just casually remarked to him that I loved the debut better although R was still a good album. He really was sort of shocked because he hadn't expected anything like that from me, plus when I started railing about Kyuss being superior to the Queens his jaw dropped even further :lol: (A week later or so he wore an Urge Overkill shirt and I said Saturation was a really good album. He said "You totally don't look like you listen to that kind of stuff." I said "Well, I do" :P :mrgreen:

Point is, do you think your looks reflect what you listen to?
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

PunkingtonGrunge
Grunge God

Re: Do your looks reflect your musical taste?

Post by PunkingtonGrunge »

you are living proof that they don't, Master Jan ;)
however, if you are going to dress in clothes associated with a certain subculture that's rooted in a particular type of music, listen to that shit. i suppose there's a problem when it comes to people who don't identify with a single type of music, but many and/or all types. what getup do you choose? :lol:
one can wear Lennon glasses, feathers in their hair like Joplin and always walk about in loose, tie dye tshirts, but they listen to Eminem or the Pistols. i'd say ultimately, looks don't reflect music taste in practice, but in theory, you can't expect people to withhold assumptions on you based on how you look/dress.
Now I think it's alright, to feel inhuman...
Comin' at ya quiet and underwhelming from the unremarkable soundscapes of Farmer Jan!!!11!1!1one!!1
https://soundcloud.com/blueblueblur

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

Partly.

SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG »

I guess it does, in a sense. The other day I got told I kind of looked like George Harrison, and I really dig his guitar work. And back in the day when I was at the peak of my grunge thing, still going to the conservatoire and my hair was orange, everyday I would walk through this school and a couple of girls usually yelled "There goes Kurt Cobain!" whenever they spotted me. Ugh. Good thing I changed my wardrobe for good.
sky above, voice within

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle »

For the most part, no. :lol:
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

Squidtard
Grunge maniac

Post by Squidtard »

Yes actually. I tend to wear an Alice in Chains T shirt, with a red flannel type thing, and a coat over the top. Really, the coat's only their for the sake of having somewhere to put all the crap I walk around with.
"I want something good to die for,
To make it beautiful to live."

PunkingtonGrunge
Grunge God

you have my favourite Black Sabbath album as your signature, can i kiss you?
Comin' at ya quiet and underwhelming from the unremarkable soundscapes of Farmer Jan!!!11!1!1one!!1

Squidtard
Grunge maniac

Post by Squidtard »

PunkingtonGrunge wrote:you have my favourite Black Sabbath album as your signature, can i kiss you?
I accept your metaphorical kiss.
"I want something good to die for,
To make it beautiful to live."

PunkingtonGrunge
Grunge God

i appreciate your consent <3

coolcat
Grunge maniac

Post by coolcat »

It's harder to tell now than it was before because I changed my look and wardrobe, but my music taste has expanded too, so somewhat.. The band shirts give it away, though.

epiphysis
Grunge maniac

Post by epiphysis »

incessantmace wrote: NOT Docs.
Docs are not considered "serious" shoes? Well there goes my formal wardrobe.

Every year the wife buys me new shirts. Mainly comic related, which is nice. But I always end up with my old shirts. Got a 17 year old Placebo shirt all faded and a few cigarette burns in them. I wear it to work. Its by far my favorite shirt. People ask why do wear old/faded/wornout shirts and I tell them that one day Grunge will make a comeback and then everybody will think I'm cool.
The moment you start analyzing your own rock is the moment your rock is dead. That's why rock is now pretty much dead. Too much analyzation. No rockalyzation! - Jack Black

PunkingtonGrunge
Grunge God

but we think you're cool NOW :D

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle »

Well, I like wearing flannel as well, but that's just a thing in the south, wearing patterned shirts and flannels all the time. So it really doesn't say, "Hey, this is what I listen to!"
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

Ferglius
Grunge God

Post by Ferglius »

I think I have kind of a toned down metal look these days. I still have people ask me for cigarettes when I'm out occasionally and I haven't smoked in years

sadie

Post by sadie »

I think so yes, in some ways.
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.