Soft Grunge????

Ripped jeans, flannel, facial hair, etc.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

Canucker
Grunge God

Re: Soft Grunge????

Post by Canucker » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:04 pm

posers are totally a thing...they are everywhere!

Blegend
Grunge maniac

Post by Blegend » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:31 pm

Lol yuh :) posers suck

Walk up to a dood with black hair Infront of one eye and ask him if he plays an instrument and he says no lol... What has the 21st century done -_- lol :)

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:43 am

I caught one of my pupils in 6th grade (meaning he's about 11 years old) wearing a Testament shirt and asked him if he wasn't a bit young to listen to thrash metal. He shrugged. Then I asked him if he only wore it because it looked cool. He blushed and nodded. That'll teach him.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:35 am

Speaking about posers,

yesterday i went to this bar where artists like painters and musicians sometimes gather. but the "artsy fartsy" dudes were pretty much a lot of snobbish rabble. they didn't listen to a word I said, just spoke loud and got drunk and smoked their cigarettes. what's worse, i had an attack -- my blood pressure went down and i collapsed to the floor. instead of helping me they threw me out. i was scared and sick and thought i was going to die and also i got robbed blind, but i survived and got home.

people are shit. im never going to a bar again.
sky above, voice within

Blegend
Grunge maniac

Post by Blegend » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:17 am

Lol saw a douche bag with a misfits shirt -_-

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:43 pm

Jesus Dante, glad you're okay. That's just shit.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep
incessantmace wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:56 am
I tried to seduce my wife by singing Big Dumb Sex to her once. Didn't work out though, I dunno why

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:39 pm

SKUNCHBAG wrote:Speaking about posers,

yesterday i went to this bar where artists like painters and musicians sometimes gather. but the "artsy fartsy" dudes were pretty much a lot of snobbish rabble. they didn't listen to a word I said, just spoke loud and got drunk and smoked their cigarettes. what's worse, i had an attack -- my blood pressure went down and i collapsed to the floor. instead of helping me they threw me out. i was scared and sick and thought i was going to die and also i got robbed blind, but i survived and got home.

people are shit. im never going to a bar again.
Every word of that sucks....Where do you go to report a thing like that? That place should be shut down.

SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:49 pm

if i were to fill a complaint or anything like that, they would say that i drank too much or that i took drugs. people would believe them because they have money and a reputation and im just a lad from a fucked up neighborhood and i have absolutely no papers to prove im sick because doctors don't yet know what's wrong with me. so everything i can do is crawl into bed, wait for the pain to heal and roll back into the outside world.
sky above, voice within

JayGarden
Grunge maniac

Post by JayGarden » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:52 am

Blegend wrote:Lol... Grunge is anti-fashion tho ;-; soo lol ima not take a shower ever again and then wear bright vibrant clothes with a flashy rainbow flannel... Hah the fuck... I don't like the idea of soft grunge it makes my eye twitch....
How does something considered anti-fashion have a code? If it's anti-fashion, then grungers can wear whatever they want. But rules include facial hair, long hair, flannal, and ripped jeans.

grappler
Grunge fanatic

Post by grappler » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:13 pm

Well, the clothes that are considered "grunge" today were popularized and made mainstream in the 90s, and now stand as a symbol of "anti-fashion" than actually being not fashionable… Which is why you can find ripped jeans, flannel, docs, converse… all in one place at Urban Outfitters to have your "individual" "anti-fashion" identity pre-selected for you. But back in the day, it really was "anti-fashion", cause that's just what regular folk wore up in the pacific northwest, with the types of industry they had. That whole look and so called "rules" have been heavily marketed (so the "rules" are not really from the culture or bands themselves, but the corporations that profit from the clothing sales), but it doesn't exclude people who don't dress that way from identifying with "grunge" (another heavily marketed label that can't really encapsulate the musical variety of the time). Thing is, as soon as you say "grunge dress code is…", you create a problem, because there will always be some "grunge" musician that doesn't fit the stereotype. There are of course some kind of parameters, but I think they come more out of being apathetic about trying to look like a "rock star", but the parameters are not so black and white.

The first problem is it's hard to codify a style unless you a first buy into the label of "grunge" as all encompassing. It's not like the time of the greasers where everyone pretty much wore blue cuffed jeans, with a white tucked t-shirt, black biker boots and a perfecto jacket with short greased back hair.

And this is the problem with "soft grunge", which is that they've taken the most stereotypical commercialized image of "grunge" fashion and appropriated it without the distance of the music or ideology (if we can say that) behind it. I don't really blame or judge someone that just likes the look, like fashion, and just wants to dress that way, but it's pretty sad when someone starts to identify themselves as a "grunger" (a term I'm guessing is a recent invention) without really knowing much about the musical movement.

subpop1999
Grunge God

Post by subpop1999 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:39 pm

I think I'm going hippy guys. just got into sitar trippy psychedelic music. Ravi Shankarrr
Fuck this American bullshit, I'm from Yorkshire, and it's Yorkshire day. Let's go eat some tatties and Yorkshire pudding.

grappler
Grunge fanatic

Post by grappler » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:15 pm

Well, I remember quiet a few people back in the 90s that *went hippie* when it became en vogue. Only problem was they thought that meant buying a couple tie-dye shirts, a pair of bell bottoms and listening to the Beatles. Oh, and there was the whole thing of not giving up their upper middle-class material possessions, but I guess that would have been too much of an inconvenience to the way of life they had been accustomed to.

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:47 pm

Hippy was the 60's term for Hipster.... there were a lot of good important causes getting attention in the 60s...enough that it became popular to show support and actually get off your ass and leave the house to do this (no netflix no internet....just imagine!)....so wishy washy trendy types would join the "party"...."hey man lets go to the sit in and meet some chicks!"..."lets protest by not attending class today".....that sort of things.....the powers that be (older generation, media outlets) were all to happy to help crushing anti establishment causes by promoting the image of lazy unwashed youth with questionable morals (sex drugs and rock n roll) in order to undermine these causes...... as time went buy the "hippy" became the retro embodiement of the 60's...."We cared man, Our generation changed things".....compared to the later Hipsters in history yeah they do come off looking way better....Disco was a huge hipster scene in the late 70s.....what did they care about? Dancing, Dressing up fancy, Questionable morals and exlusive clubs......so not insanely different just different versions in most cases but yeah no causes simply makin the scene.

grappler
Grunge fanatic

Post by grappler » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:21 am

I suppose there will always be those who jump on the bandwagon when things get popular, and I don't mean that as a blanket criticism of people. Even in the "Grunge" era there were plenty of people that wore the stuff cause it was the next cool thing. Practically everyone I knew had a pair of doc, ripped jeans and a flannel shirt, but somehow there was a sense of authenticity to it because it was the moment these kids came out of. I think the difference with the current generation is that there's a lot of direct appropriation of moments of the past without really making it their own. Just a couple of years ago 80s style was the big thing, and before that was a rehash of the hipsters, and now the 90s... And they're not so much developments of these musical and cultural moments as they are adoptions of them. Something like Soft Grunge seems like just another symptom of that. itll be interesting to see what happens once this 90s fad fades... Maybe all these people will get back into Emo again and start sweeping their hair over 1 eye. That would be pretty meta! Lol

otherimprov
Site Admin

Post by otherimprov » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:57 am

SKUNCHBAG wrote:if i were to fill a complaint or anything like that, they would say that i drank too much or that i took drugs. people would believe them because they have money and a reputation and im just a lad from a fucked up neighborhood and i have absolutely no papers to prove im sick because doctors don't yet know what's wrong with me. so everything i can do is crawl into bed, wait for the pain to heal and roll back into the outside world.
Dante you should really get treatment for your blood pressure. Whether its high or low, its bad. I'm telling you this from the experience of my family facing bloody pressure problem
Eat your water and drink your vegetables