''Grunge'' Posers

Ripped jeans, flannel, facial hair, etc.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

alternradioshifter
Grunge maniac

Re: ''Grunge'' Posers

Post by alternradioshifter »

If there's no hard feelings then my apologies but our discourse didn't start out with you mulling about the subject. It started with you assuming why I feel I'm better than these soft grunge/pastel goth people based on a joke I made, so sorry if I "misinterpreted your intentions".
FeedMyEyes wrote:Tell him to fuck off and that you worship satan.

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

Usually when you tell someone to go to hell it means you do not want to spend your eternity there with them :roll:
when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why

coolcat
Grunge maniac

Post by coolcat »

Calling people posers is pretty childish in my opinion.

alternradioshifter
Grunge maniac

Sorlag wrote:Usually when you tell someone to go to hell it means you do not want to spend your eternity there with them :roll:
It was a joke. I don't see why I need to keep reiterating this.

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

And I reciprocated, I don't see why that is a foreign concept :P
You come into a discussion cracking a go to hell joke, expecting people to somehow draw subtext from that, and as I ask a simple follow-up; it makes me the assumptious one?

alternradioshifter
Grunge maniac

Because reciprocating a response is fine. Recipocating a reiteration more specifically (that means to repeat, which this time I'll assume you don't know the definition to since you're "reciprocating" the already repeated message which shut down your first statement, in accordance with insanity, clearly)? Depends. You felt I thought was better than other people. You were told it was a joke. Still you continue to kick a dead horse. It starting to verge on trolly Devil's Advocate-stupidity rather than discussion at this point. Your "follow-up" seems to disregard the fact that this thread had opinions like mine before I even got here. The emoticons and most especially, the picture of the kid from Hype! who was ranting about poseurs should have given away my first post's base sarcasm. Not that its mandated, but I take it you haven't seen Hype! or just really bad at catching jokes. I know you can't exactly pinpoint tone on the web, but the picture was a dead giveaway. In any case, have a nice day. I'm done trying to justify myself over something so petty.

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

By "reciprocated" I meant I joked back, silly!
Jikes, I never felt you thought you were better than other people, I don't care, you implied you were and I wondered why. It's not more complicated than that. In the context of the thread your joke could have been anything. Can you really blame me for asking the right questions?

I'm not the one who said this was a discourse that I started. So who is really playing the Devil's advocate here? You're not justifying yourself, you are telling me I am in the wrong here.

Someone is appealing to their subjective sensitivities :lol:

alternradioshifter
Grunge maniac

No sir, you implied I felt I was better by your question. Not busting out the Hype! explanation again. You did start a discourse. The one you're having with me? Which at this point is serving no actual purpose other than draining energy. You asked a question, you got your answer and it didn't appeal to your "subjective sensitivities", get over it. :roll:

PunkingtonGrunge
Grunge God

Post by PunkingtonGrunge »

I think many flaws can be about overlooked or made more tolerable if a person is willing to admit to them, even if they don't plan on improving on them. Like, I'm willing to admit I can be egotistical and stroke my ego sometimes but as long as I'm open about it, I think it makes it easier for people to understand me and choose whether or not they can bear to be in my presence for any extended amount of time. :P
Now I think it's alright, to feel inhuman...
Comin' at ya quiet and underwhelming from the unremarkable soundscapes of Farmer Jan!!!11!1!1one!!1
https://soundcloud.com/blueblueblur

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

alternradioshifter wrote:No sir, you implied I felt I was better by your question. Not busting out the Hype! explanation again. You did start a discourse. The one you're having with me? Which at this point is serving no actual purpose other than draining energy. You asked a question, you got your answer and it didn't appeal to your "subjective sensitivities", get over it. :roll:
Let's go through this:
You didn't answer it, Jan did, and then I started pondering about posing grunge. Then you were worried I was taking things too seriously, at which point I said it was cool, and then you jumped back at me saying I started some discourse.

If it will makes things easier, since this obviously still is a big deal to you: Yes. I implied... That you implied... You were better.

“implication [im-pli-key-shuh n]
Logic. the relation that holds between two propositions, or classes of propositions, in virtue of which one is logically deducible from the other.”

"I'm better" is logically deducible from "go to hell", isn't it? I didn't put any significance into it except challenging your proposition. If you see that as having called you arrogant, then I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I really didn't mean to.

I'm over that a page ago, you know when I said no hard feelings? Are you over it? What I am not over is you trying to blame me over a very mutual confusion for no apparent reason.
PunkingtonGrunge wrote:I think many flaws can be about overlooked or made more tolerable if a person is willing to admit to them, even if they don't plan on improving on them. Like, I'm willing to admit I can be egotistical and stroke my ego sometimes but as long as I'm open about it, I think it makes it easier for people to understand me and choose whether or not they can bear to be in my presence for any extended amount of time. :P
I think that is very sane! To be OT: it's easy pointing out the faults of others. Rarely does anyone try to actually cross you by like wearing a Nirvana shirt for the aesthetics. It's much harder, but much healthier I think, to look inwards. I do not call for to entirely stop bashing on people though, bashing is fun as long as it's humble :P

BleedTheFreak
Grunge guru

Post by BleedTheFreak »

Wow, such a blow-up of opinions and considerations here.

My verdict: "Soft grunge" is a modern pop culture stain that not only blows, but shits on the ethics and credo of grunge because we didn't do enough to prevent it. Next.
"Black windows of paint; I scratched with my nails." | "In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies."
instagram | 90's tumblr | No, I still don't listen to Pearl Jam.

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

Modern pop culture is a stain and grunge didn't have ethics. It was just a handful of things that record companies packaged together to sell to kids. Post-grunge is just an attempt to repackage that myth and sell it again and again.

Beeswax
Grunge God

Post by Beeswax »

I know back when I was about 16, I felt really insulted by all this 'soft grunge' and by all the 'posers'. Today I really couldn't care less, I'm just glad certain styles are back in so I can get my hands on them more easily (like chokers and reddish brown lipstick). I think it's very much a thing for teenagers to look down on people who don't fit their (often rather cliché) view of certain subcultures, but you tend to grow out of it once you realize many people don't look like what they listen to. It goes hand in hand with broadening your horizons and realizing that there's other good music out there that isn't grunge - hell, I'd say that 90% of what I listen to now isn't grunge, but it's still alternative and I will always look back fondly on my hardcore grunge period.

(idk if this sounds pretentious.)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/rissa333/andycolorbar.png[/img]

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

I think teenagers trying to be something only feel successful when pointing out someone else's failings at trying to be the same thing.

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar »

<-- Professional grunge poser.