''Grunge'' Posers

Ripped jeans, flannel, facial hair, etc.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

epiphysis
Grunge maniac

Re: ''Grunge'' Posers

Post by epiphysis »

SKUNCHBAG wrote:I literally know a man who loves mayonnaise
I still love that song, if its the Smashing Pumpkins song you're referring to.
The moment you start analyzing your own rock is the moment your rock is dead. That's why rock is now pretty much dead. Too much analyzation. No rockalyzation! - Jack Black

SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG »

He had intimate relationships with the record.
sky above, voice within

alternradioshifter
Grunge maniac

Post by alternradioshifter »

Hate it. Pastel goth and soft grunge can go to hell. Damn poseurs. :x
FeedMyEyes wrote:Tell him to fuck off and that you worship satan.

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

I don't think those are meant to pose grunge? They are just grunge inspired-ish. It's like what seapunk is to punk I guess :P
when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why

alternradioshifter
Grunge maniac

They can still burn in hell. :|

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

Why? What makes you any better?

PunkingtonGrunge
Grunge God

Post by PunkingtonGrunge »

Well, it's fairly simple: he's not a poser. :P
Now I think it's alright, to feel inhuman...
Comin' at ya quiet and underwhelming from the unremarkable soundscapes of Farmer Jan!!!11!1!1one!!1
https://soundcloud.com/blueblueblur

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

Likewise people who are into soft grunge, they don't care about grunge. Is it because they stole the word? Is it a sacred word?

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

And lmao pretty much all of us are grunge posers anyways :twisted: That's right, we are POSERS!! pretty fucking awesome posers tho amirite

SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG »

me is no poseur :c

EDIT: oh wait. just looked up the definition...

poseur [poh-zurz; French paw-zœr]
a person who attempts to impress others by assuming or affecting a manner, degree of elegance, sentiment, etc., other than his or her true one.

doesn't every single person with some degree of social skill do this kind of thing in one way or another? I mean, at least sensible individuals behave differently according to the people that are around them. that sort of qualifies as posing... so it's true then... we're all actors playing roles in a grand play!
sky above, voice within

alternradioshifter
Grunge maniac

The context in which the word poser is used in rock culture though, usually refers to people repping something they know little to nothing about. Now I know we all start out not knowing much at whatever point in our lives we get into something and branch out from there, but jesus christ, we have some, not all (actually, a lot) of these "soft grunge" people wearing Nirvana T-shirts and upon being asked about it saying that Nirvana is their favorite clothing brand. :| A clothing brand. It's like what happened before but a lot worse this time. The sad part is there seems to be a rise in anti-intellectualism based on political correctness, people's subjective sensitivities and ego defenses.

PunkingtonGrunge
Grunge God

Post by PunkingtonGrunge »

SKUNCHBAG wrote:we're all actors playing roles in a grand play!
Ah, Goffman's Dramaturgy, a fine sociological perspective.
However, the play must be at least 95% improv :P
Now I think it's alright, to feel inhuman...
Comin' at ya quiet and underwhelming from the unremarkable soundscapes of Farmer Jan!!!11!1!1one!!1
https://soundcloud.com/blueblueblur

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

alternradioshifter wrote:usually refers to people repping something they know little to nothing about
Like, how long is a rope? :P

There are only varying degrees here, we know trivia but less than a handful of all forum members has experienced grunge actually being a thing. The grunge we so admire and look up to anyways. Of course grunge is a different organism now and we're in the forefront of whatever it has grown into now and that's awesome. But don't kid yourself by saying we don't generally have a weak spot for flanell, long hair, big muff's and dr martens. Those things aren't relevant in any broad sense now. They are relevant to us, because we are posers I say. We try to live up to grunge because grunge matters to us. The bands we listen to has left grunge in the 90's, some of them never even used the term, some of them even despise it. Yet here we are and I am right now wearing trashed jeans and an ironic shirt and I don't have the slightest problem with it.

Instead of having contempt for people, why not have some self distance?
alternradioshifter wrote:The sad part is there seems to be a rise in anti-intellectualism based on political correctness, people's subjective sensitivities and ego defenses.
Maybe. I see a rise in conservative notions of right or wrong. Lots of disdain towards people. Lots of shame. Lots of people thinking they are better than others. Isn't hating people for liking clothing more than some 30 year old band you like appealing to your own subjective sensitivies? I think it is. Of course people care about a contemporary fashion style more, and that's what will be talked about in the next decades and Nirvana will grow mold and it's all good. You can't fight time you know :)

We may like grawnge and they may like pastel. It doesn't need to be one or the other.

I don't know, I'm a firm believer of "whatever floats your boat". I am very libertarian when it comes to these things, maybe I am biased ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

alternradioshifter
Grunge maniac

I feel the same way, actually. That means I don't need to like something just because somebody else does. It means I don't have to restrict my opinion just like they don't need to restrict theirs nor do you. The first post I made at onset was ultimately a joke, I'm not the brains behind defining how to properly "grunge". I feel a certain way about that term anyways. I think you took what I said a little too seriously. I never claimed to be better than anyone. This is exactly what I'm referring to in regard to people's subjective sensitivities and having to be silent more often than not because of it. I refuse to be a part of that culture. I said what I said, it wasn't that serious, if you decide to misinterpret the intention behind my statement, that's on you.

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

Hey now, now you're assuming I am being very serious about this...
I don't mean to put you on a hot seat, I am just widely mulling about the subject, as one does about things, you know? I know my 'tude sound harsh but there's honestly no hard feelings here. If you decide to mistinterpret the intention behind it, then that's on you :P

I think there is a huge difference between shutting people up over a sensitive topic and provoking people to think about what they are saying and why. Which the latter I like to do. I am not trying to villanize anyone.