Where do y'all shop?

Ripped jeans, flannel, facial hair, etc.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

SayHello2Heaven

Where do y'all shop?

Post by SayHello2Heaven »

I'm bored beyond any thought. So I figured I ask where everyone shops for their clothes :) I think it'll be interesting to see where everyone goes and see if there is anything interesting :D

For jeans I go to Old Navy. They have a hugeee selection $20 and when there is sale cheaper. Gotta love a bargain!

For flannel I go to Kohls. Around the end of summer they have tons of flannel in every color, even the awkward looking ones. $20 bucks tops. I'm not a fan of wearing brands like Zoo York or whatever else they got, but fuck the name on the tag, it's a pretty good deal when it comes to flannel.

For shirts I dig around thrift shopes a lot. I never bought a shirt that was more than $30 so these places are a home run when it comes to being on a budget. eBay isn't bad either for band shirts, sometimes the pricing gets a bit wacky but you can find them at a good price.

For instance once (actually, as i'm talking) I saw a Soundgarden shirt on eBay and my jaw hit the floor....20 bucks? I think I have to bid. And won it for 30 bucks. For a vintage 90's Soundgarden shirt 30 bucks is pretty good....If you look at any other SG shirt prices they go as high as $300!!! having a keen eye helps in certain situations I guess :)

Anyway, what about y'all?

Canucker
Grunge God
Posts: 3466
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Ontario Canada
Contact:

Re: Where do y'all shop?

Post by Canucker »

I'm a thrift store junkie. I can't stand sales people and mall type places. In my town they cluster all the thrift stores together... Salvation Army, Value Village and The Good Will. Goodwill has half price days every other friday so its awesome. With that many options and the fact they are all big you can always find something (often brand new stuff). I don't work on mondays and theres not much to do so I go check for vinyl and other stuff all the time. Other then that its clothing from my mom at Christmas and band shirts from bands at gigs.
I do my own silk screening so I can turn a two dollar goodwill shirt into anything I want (though its a lot of work to set up to print just one shirt especially in multi colours). I have even done my bands shirts with thrift shirts through the years cus so many of the kids at the all ages shows were so cheap (meaning your wearing a $60 misfits hoodie but you complain that the show is $7 to see 6 bands???)... making shirts that way we could charge $8 a shirt and they sold really well.
I'd rather buy nearly new jeans for $6 at a thrift store then for $70 at the mall for the same brand and spend the difference on shows and music gear. Better for the environment too! Sometimes people say "I can't believe you wear thrift store clothing that other people wore" yet they go to fancy restaurants and put forks and spoons in they're mouth that hundreds of people have used. I wash my own clothing do you wash those forks? Ummm underware and socks gotta be new...shoes I might buy second hand (20 dollar docks thankyou!) but I'll buy fresh insoles.

SayHello2Heaven

Re: Where do y'all shop?

Post by SayHello2Heaven »

I don't mind going to thrift stores. Around my town there aren't any. Maybe one place and it's boutique kinda place. Not big at all. So I tried to get the thrift store prices at mall type stores. Really the only places by me are mall type places so you gotta work with what you got!! :lol:

Thurston_Whore
Grunge zealot
Posts: 1162
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:55 am
Location: UK,Wales

Re: Where do y'all shop?

Post by Thurston_Whore »

Asda.
[b]''If I'm the guy you're lookin' for
Just look down under some rock''[/b]

Canucker
Grunge God
Posts: 3466
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Ontario Canada
Contact:

Re: Where do y'all shop?

Post by Canucker »

SayHello2Heaven wrote:I don't mind going to thrift stores. Around my town there aren't any. Maybe one place and it's boutique kinda place. Not big at all. So I tried to get the thrift store prices at mall type stores. Really the only places by me are mall type places so you gotta work with what you got!! :lol:
http://valuevillage.com/ you can locate some stores that you might pass whenever you go outta town. You know whats the best in towns that have no thrift stores? Curb surfing on trash day! Not for clothing...even I have my limits. But for other stuff. I got my P.A. speakers for free cus somebody was throwing them out...other scores include guitar cases, a mic stand, fishing gear, bikes, dvd players, record players, speakers, furniture, record collections and more...all a couple towns over cus they have no thrift stores and those people are to lazy to drive stuff here to drop it off! It really helps if you know how to fix stuff or want to spend a couple minutes learning how.

mad_submarine
Grunge zealot
Posts: 1053
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:46 am
Location: beneath the valley of the underdog

Re: Where do y'all shop?

Post by mad_submarine »

Second hand beats you.
[color=#004000]I've got a lack.
A lack of half way good and it's all my own.
Only Boris understands.[/color]

evee103
Site Admin
Posts: 8923
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:57 am

Re: Where do y'all shop?

Post by evee103 »

Whatever store I'm in, I only buy stuff from the clearance section. Oh, and I get alotta clothes from wal-mart, believe it or not. I got these awesome boots in the kids clearance section for $8!!! I used to go to Hot Topic YEARS ago, but that store is complete shit now. I often go to the kids section of stores cuz I have better luck finding things that fit me there. I'm really tiny, so it's pretty difficult shopping for clothes. I also buy gloves and scarves from Ebay cuz it's SO much cheaper!

I never buy shirts for more than $10, and I never buy jeans for more than $15. Though I can usually find both for around $5-8.

Oh, and whenever my friend's clothes shrink in the wash, they give them to me! =D
The Jeevies. It's a feeling you get.
Sorlag wrote:You're releasing on Mini CD? I thought that format was as dead as this forum

Canucker
Grunge God
Posts: 3466
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Ontario Canada
Contact:

Re: Where do y'all shop?

Post by Canucker »

evee103 wrote:Whatever store I'm in, I only buy stuff from the clearance section. Oh, and I get alotta clothes from wal-mart, believe it or not. I got these awesome boots in the kids clearance section for $8!!! I used to go to Hot Topic YEARS ago, but that store is complete shit now. I often go to the kids section of stores cuz I have better luck finding things that fit me there. I'm really tiny, so it's pretty difficult shopping for clothes. I also buy gloves and scarves from Ebay cuz it's SO much cheaper!

I never buy shirts for more than $10, and I never buy jeans for more than $15. Though I can usually find both for around $5-8.

Oh, and whenever my friend's clothes shrink in the wash, they give them to me! =D
I'm 6'4" and skinny... handmedowns never get handed to me! Thank god for three huge thrift stores in this town.

SayHello2Heaven

Re: Where do y'all shop?

Post by SayHello2Heaven »

Hey, i'm the same height!!!! and i'm extremely skinny. So finding clothes isn't the easiest :lol: Just buy Larges and XL no matter what does fine.

My town is around a massive amounts of great record stores, yet very very very few thrift stores....Thats just plain weird :?

But, i'm happy not spending anything over $30 bucks for anything no matter where its from. Yeah, getting stuff from a thrift store for me would be great, I could save money!!!! but when your surrounded by huge malls, and bug named stores you have to work with what you have. It's hard around here walking on the same streets where stores like Gucci, Nordstroms, Fortunoff, and Prada....It's a tough thing, but i'm happy I have a few stores I can go to that don't cost me an arm and leg :lol: As long as I have my job, everything is golden :)

Canucker
Grunge God
Posts: 3466
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Ontario Canada
Contact:

Re: Where do y'all shop?

Post by Canucker »

SayHello2Heaven wrote:Hey, i'm the same height!!!! and i'm extremely skinny. So finding clothes isn't the easiest :lol: Just buy Larges and XL no matter what does fine.

My town is around a massive amounts of great record stores, yet very very very few thrift stores....Thats just plain weird :?

But, i'm happy not spending anything over $30 bucks for anything no matter where its from. Yeah, getting stuff from a thrift store for me would be great, I could save money!!!! but when your surrounded by huge malls, and bug named stores you have to work with what you have. It's hard around here walking on the same streets where stores like Gucci, Nordstroms, Fortunoff, and Prada....It's a tough thing, but i'm happy I have a few stores I can go to that don't cost me an arm and leg :lol: As long as I have my job, everything is golden :)
It sounds like you need to make a pilgrimage to some thrift alley somewhere. You'd save a fortune and its fun. I'm a big fan of the environment aspect of it to as well as the not buying from exploited third world countries. Its like a win win win win. I don't bitch at people for where they shop though. I just try to offer up some better ideas. I remember in the pre internet days when people wrote a lot of zines there were so many with articles bitching people out for not being vegetarian and listing the benefits of the lifestyle...but my thought was "hey idiot how about a recipe instead of a bitch fest?".
There is no indie record store in this town....we lost Sunrise Records just recently and are now down to only having HMV. This with a population of 120 000....and its a shopping destination town for all the smaller towns around. I guess people are satisfied with that and BestBuy and Future shop....does anyone really buy music at wallmart?

SayHello2Heaven

Re: Where do y'all shop?

Post by SayHello2Heaven »

I agree 100%. Doesn't matter where you shop, as long as you like what you wear :D

um. I don't see why people WOULD buy from Wal-Mart. What is it, like $15-20 a cd? that's way too much. Go to indie record stores get those same albums for 2 bucks tops. Not to mention a much better selection and VINYL!!!!!

Canucker
Grunge God
Posts: 3466
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Ontario Canada
Contact:

Re: Where do y'all shop?

Post by Canucker »

SayHello2Heaven wrote:I agree 100%. Doesn't matter where you shop, as long as you like what you wear :D

um. I don't see why people WOULD buy from Wal-Mart. What is it, like $15-20 a cd? that's way too much. Go to indie record stores get those same albums for 2 bucks tops. Not to mention a much better selection and VINYL!!!!!
other benifit of living in the burbs is Vinyl at Yard Sales....though with the uprise of the usb capable record players a lot of people are holding on to they're stuff or putting stupid prices on shitty records cus they think they have something but they don't. It just dried up this year. Before that like every year I had at least one major score of like $20 for an entire collection. I have a stupid amount of vinyl. Thats on the short list of reasons its cool to be me. very short.

SayHello2Heaven

Re: Where do y'all shop?

Post by SayHello2Heaven »

Yeah, I been in some stored where they sell random vinyl for an insane amount of money. I just overlook them, because I think suckers only spend that much for a vinyl or even a CD. I love going record hunting, it's like th eonly thing that gets me through the day. The only intresting thing about me is my collection, and the only thing really great about this area is the record stores.

I honestly, never bought records from a yard sale before. I always assumed they were just a bunch of old lady clothes and baby toys. I do go to flea markets a lot and some people seel their collections there. Although, 9 times out of 10 it's some oldies, polka, swing music...But I get lucky once in a blue moon :)

Canucker
Grunge God
Posts: 3466
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Ontario Canada
Contact:

Re: Where do y'all shop?

Post by Canucker »

SayHello2Heaven wrote:Yeah, I been in some stored where they sell random vinyl for an insane amount of money. I just overlook them, because I think suckers only spend that much for a vinyl or even a CD. I love going record hunting, it's like th eonly thing that gets me through the day. The only intresting thing about me is my collection, and the only thing really great about this area is the record stores.

I honestly, never bought records from a yard sale before. I always assumed they were just a bunch of old lady clothes and baby toys. I do go to flea markets a lot and some people seel their collections there. Although, 9 times out of 10 it's some oldies, polka, swing music...But I get lucky once in a blue moon :)
I love swing and oldies! My record collection includes everything under the sun. Here in the burbs a lot of people tend to come after getting a good job (it ain't cheap around here) and move out of the city and bail on they're so called cool past.... or give up on trying to be cool or something. Fleamarkets I tend to hit are very picked over. Thrift stores are almost always a miss for vinyl cus its so much scratched stuff or religious stuff or weird stuff.
My mission is usually looking for stuff from between 77 and 81 with songs under three minutes. Lots of weird new wave stuff that way.... My collection really includes everything though...lot of 80's stuff. I shoot for Punk and New wave stuff but anything rock really if its in good shape and the price is right. Surf, Ska, Swing, Oldies, Rockabilly, Punk, New Wave, 80s pop cheese, Classic Rock...kinda endless. Don't have anything grunge though...vinyl wasn't popular enough at the time for people to ditch that stuff cheap.

SayHello2Heaven

Re: Where do y'all shop?

Post by SayHello2Heaven »

My collection is a ton of Alternative Rock, Punk, Metal, Indie, some Country, Hardcore ans whatever else thats loud. I'm not a fan of the Swing and Oldies music, there isn't much substance there for me to get into. I mean, I like certain songs but nothing that I would buy a record for. Flea Markets are pretty good down here, especially the huge ones that come once or twice a year, those are full of great stuff. Price isn't bad either, hell you can buy a great record and get an antique at the same place, nothing better :lol:

My collection is getting a bit ridiculous lately though, my parents keep telling me to get a hobby and to stop spending my money on things that won't be worth anything. I just shrug it off, and keep doing it. There's just something special about going to a store and seeing the different color wax on the records, and the little inserts and the whole expereience. I bought a Storage Space a few weeks back to keep every record in. Lately I been selling a few of them because money has gotten a bit tighter, but i'll get them back one day.

Post Reply