Favorite AIC Album?

Talk about the amazing Alice In Chains here.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

johnwaynewasanazi
Grunge prophet

Favorite AIC Album?

Post by johnwaynewasanazi »

mine is the Jar of Flies EP
Scarabola
Grunge God

Re: Favorite AIC Album?

Post by Scarabola »

Jar of Flies or Dirt
Ferglius
Grunge God

Post by Ferglius »

Well this is going to be a short thread...

Tripod
P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V »

Jar of Flies isn't an album, therefore it doesn't qualify.

The Self Titled was my favorite album ever for quite a long time, everything about it is amazing and near perfect except for Heaven Beside You's "See through faded/super jaded" part. Frogs is one of the best songs ever written or recorded, and I've gotten chills multiple times from almost every track on the album. The production is incredible and suits AiC fantastically - the only songs I'd argue are produced better are "Rotten Apple" and "I Stay Away", and maybe "Don't Follow". The whole album is a masterpiece - one that is surprisingly cohesive and well put together despite AiC decaying very rapidly as the album was in the works. There are very few albums that have made me feel for every track - and this was the first one that did. I will owe something to these guys forever because of that.
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person
johnwaynewasanazi
Grunge prophet

Slugg wrote:Jar of Flies isn't an album, therefore it doesn't qualify.
It depends on what you define as an album. If your talking about an LP, no it's not. That's why I said EP
johnwaynewasanazi
Grunge prophet

Music Album Definition: An album or record album is a collection of related audio or music tracks distributed to the public. The most common way is through commercial distribution, although smaller artists will often distribute directly to the public by selling their albums at live concerts or on their websites.

Therefore, YES, Jar of Flies is an album
P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V »

Yeah, if you want to get unnecessarily semantic, you're right. But that also means that the "Grind" single is an album, and that any release with more than one song is an album. But the intention of Jar of Flies was to be an EP, and not a studio album. Same with Sap. I go by the intention of the band and not an arbitrary definition.
otherimprov wrote:
johnwaynewasanazi
Grunge prophet

Slugg wrote:Yeah, if you want to get unnecessarily semantic, you're right. But that also means that the "Grind" single is an album, and that any release with more than one song is an album. But the intention of Jar of Flies was to be an EP, and not a studio album. Same with Sap. I go by the intention of the band and not an arbitrary definition.
Ah touche, my friend. You have won this round.
Luciditypro
Grunge God

Post by Luciditypro »

Even if it doesn't count as an album, I'm going with Jar of Flies. With the second being Unplugged, and a very close third being Tripod. 4th and 5th belonging to Facelift and Dirt. 6th belonging to Sap.

Honestly, if I had listened to AiC later in life, my list would likely be completely different. With Facelift likely taking first place. There's just something about Jar of Flies that can completely calm me down, even on the worst of days.
Shake it like a Polaroid picture.

Follow your dreams, no one can stop you.
Except a person in a tank.
A person in a tank could probably stop you.
ryan@app18
Grunge fan

Post by ryan@app18 »

Hands down dirt

It has had more big hits than any of their other albums and has generally better songs. How do u argue w/ Rooster, Them Bones and Rain When I Die

:twisted:
Ryan
Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola »

dukepayen wrote:Alice In Chains is ranked number 115 in the overall band rankings with a total rank score of 10,869.

The best album by Alice In Chains is Dirt which is ranked number 168 in the overall greatest album chart with a total rank score of 6,331.
A more detailed breakdown of this band's best albums and best songs are shown further down this page.
I really want to know what #1 is.
P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V »

Scarabola wrote:
dukepayen wrote:Alice In Chains is ranked number 115 in the overall band rankings with a total rank score of 10,869.

The best album by Alice In Chains is Dirt which is ranked number 168 in the overall greatest album chart with a total rank score of 6,331.
A more detailed breakdown of this band's best albums and best songs are shown further down this page.
$10 says it's a Beatles album.

Also, as you guys know, ranking charts put together by people are the most effective and totally non-arbitrary way of determining what the best albums are. My entire music taste is plagiarized from Pitchfork and Rolling Stone.
otherimprov wrote:
Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola »

Slugg wrote:
Scarabola wrote:

$10 says it's a Beatles album.

Also, as you guys know, ranking charts put together by people are the most effective and totally non-arbitrary way of determining what the best albums are. My entire music taste is plagiarized from Pitchfork and Rolling Stone.
10$ I also say it's a Beatles album. Which means if we're wrong then we both owe each other 10$. Do you accept checks?

And I don't wholeheartedly agree with those Rolling Stone and whoever else ranked lists. I mean, some of my favorite albums are on those lists, however they're scattered among other albums I don't think are even that good (or at least they're ranked a bit higher than they should be.... *coughMasterofPuppetscough*)
incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

1 is a Beatles album in fact. A collection of their #1 hit singles to be precise. Sort out the math for yourselves, will ya? :P
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?
PJAICfan
Grunge God

Post by PJAICfan »

I'd say either Facelift, Jar of Flies, or Tripod
Easy come, easy go
Easy left me a long time ago..