Sap vs Jar of Flies

Talk about the amazing Alice In Chains here.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Sap vs Jar of Flies

Sap
No votes
Jar of Flies
100%

Total votes: 2

joseph
Grunge master

Sap vs Jar of Flies

Post by joseph »

Which acoustic ep is better? i prefer jar of flies but sap is great too.
Wiiija
Grunge maniac

Re: Sap vs Jar of Flies

Post by Wiiija »

The poll won't accept my vote, but here's my tuppence worth...
Sap is my personal favourite, but Jar of Flies is the better EP.
Reason being that pretty much no-one saw that standard of song-writing or musicianship from AIC as being likely.
Whale & Wasp and Nutshell dropped my jaw as a kid, getting both Jar of Flies and Sap as one double-cassette back in '94.
Nothing could compete with the sheer power that Sap had over me, though.
Am I Inside and Wrong Turn, and later Brother seemed to just speak directly to my 15-year old self.
And maaaaaan... when Cornell & Arm start up on Right Turn... Goosebumps on goosebumps.
XsInMyEyes
Grunge master

Re: Sap vs Jar of Flies

Post by XsInMyEyes »

They're both 5 stars, both unique and engaging with their own highly individual charms, and both intriguing departures from the albums that preceded them -- that's one of the many great things about AiC, that their discography was a varied jungle with a grand profusion of styles --
--
I opine that Jar of Flies was, both out of what I prefer, and musical proficiency, my favourite of the two. Musically, Flies is highly diverse in itself, bridging brooding acoustics, bluesy solos and the gorgeous ringing guitar that embellishes the music of so many great bands -- so it is absolutely my cup of tea to see my favourite band embrace it! A listen yields the thoroughly gripping jangle of "No Excuses" complete with a rootsy guitar solo, and a defiant chorus purveying acceptance, and offering an otherworldly ability to inspirit an alienated soul... the charmingly retro "Swing on This" ... to "Don't Follow", a harmonica-decorated foray into the universe of acoustic balladry and delicate, pensive nature leaves me both warned and warmed ... its difficult to write words about that song, because it is so individual in its countenance.
Lyrically, it channels its themes of despair and alienation, through indwelling and ruminative acceptance, it definitely offers a sense of solace. It has an evening feel to it, and is, bizarrely but but brilliantly, relaxing!
All of this, and it is the longer of the two, which means that it provides me with that little bit more to enjoy!
--
It's hard to start things over, You can feel the fire around us, All the time. It's still unfashionable to beleive in principles.