Is their anyone else who doesn't like AIC?

Talk about the amazing Alice In Chains here.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

TheBrothersMudd
Grunge zealot

Re: Is their anyone else who doesn't like AIC?

Post by TheBrothersMudd »

frell wrote::shock:

I think there was a reason why there was the big 4 grunge bands, each band had something different to offer the musical community. However, to say a band is bland is kind of a lame reason. (perhaps IRL this could have been explained better) AIC in particular is one of the better bands of the 90s. They experimented more than other grunge bands of the time. Their catalog is literally a hodge podge of awesomeness. Jar Of Flies remains as one of my favorite albums ever (I know this was an EP and not an album). I would suggest listening to that album then a NMH and you can see an evolution in popular music. I am not saying that NMH did anything better, just an interesting growth of rock music. Still I would prefer AIC over NMH any day.

The one thing I will say is bland from AIC is the imitators (see Godsmack, Staind and other bands from the post grunge trash pile). This still does not reflect on AIC directly, since they created a sound that others wanted to imitate.
I think Neutral Milk Hotel is better than AIC anyday, alot of different instruments in their group, ITAOTS is the greatest album ever written, IMO.
yep

Creeper113
Grunge prophet

Post by Creeper113 »

I dont deny that they were inspired in part by AIC among many others, thats what Post Grunge is, bands formed by people who loved the grunge movement and want emulate that sound in their work but there is also a lot of metal influence in their work. To me these videos go to show how very different their vocal style is, Layne's singing is ALOT like Robert Plant, not that I would say he ripped him off. Sullys vocals are much deeper ranged.
The sort of riffs and playing style used by these bands are what make the rock and roll sound, power chords with heavy distortion overdriven lead, you'd have to go back a lot further than AIC to pinpoint the origins of these "ripped off" features

Many bands utilize a sunburst or starburst in emblems.

Another Grunge band sun....

PJAICfan
Grunge God

Post by PJAICfan »

Blind Melon are an absolutely amazing band and one of my favorites but I would not consider them grunge. There were alternative bands that were around at the time that were debatable but not exactly grunge music. Like blind melon, smashing pumpkins, janes addiction, rhcp, stone temple pilots. All of that is not grunge in my opinion but close to grunge and around that time period. Oh and if I had the choice of deciding which band would cease to exist, nmh or AIC, you know which I would choose
Easy come, easy go
Easy left me a long time ago..

frell
Grunge guru

Post by frell »

Creeper113 wrote:I dont deny that they were inspired in part by AIC among many others, thats what Post Grunge is, bands formed by people who loved the grunge movement and want emulate that sound in their work but there is also a lot of metal influence in their work. To me these videos go to show how very different their vocal style is, Layne's singing is ALOT like Robert Plant, not that I would say he ripped him off. Sullys vocals are much deeper ranged.
The sort of riffs and playing style used by these bands are what make the rock and roll sound, power chords with heavy distortion overdriven lead, you'd have to go back a lot further than AIC to pinpoint the origins of these "ripped off" features

Many bands utilize a sunburst or starburst in emblems.

Another Grunge band sun....
I dig, i just found it odd that that Godsmack decided upon that symbol after using an AIC song name as a band name. It isn't just riffs that Godsmack uses though. The vids I posted show a Mad Season song then a GS song. Then AIC lyrics and GS lyrics. These are all things that seem almost planned out. Granted, if you listen to a lot of AIC that will prevail in your own music and so on. I do find it interesting that in the rock world this kind of stuff is ok to some degree or rather it is tolerated. In the comedy world it is looked down upon to have a joke that has the same feel.
[img]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj119/darkstarz25/brainofjfk.jpg[/img]