Do original AIC Fans Like William DuVall?

Talk about the amazing Alice In Chains here.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Y2K-kyle

Do original AIC Fans Like William DuVall?

Post by Y2K-kyle »

I have been getting into Alice In Chains and to be fair I listened to some songs from BGWTB and I enjoyed William DuVall's singing yet when going to YouTube and other sites I see people saying he sucks and what not. I love the old AIC songs with Layne Staley singing(who doesn't here on this forum) and I think William DuVall does an excellent job with Alice In Chains.

So what you think? He's good, he's sucks, or just don't care it's AIC!
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

Bleach
Grunge master

Re: Do original AIC Fans Like William DuVall?

Post by Bleach »

As a veteran — not as veteran as some on here, obviously — Alice in Chains fan, I can say I like Will DuVall. I think he does an excellent job and is a vibrant addition to the band. Alice in Chains is clearly still Cantrell's band and Layne Staley was, at least in my opinion, a much more talented and ardent frontman.

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven »

I'm not diehard, but I have listened to every album by them and BGWT and I like him. He came into the band with massive shoes to fill, and very high expectations and I think he's done a good job. We all would prefer Layne, no question about that, but Will is doing a great job.

But if you think about it, you can understand why some diehard AIC fans would hate or dislike Will. When you have such a talent and such a unique musician like Layne, no one can follow or even compare to him. But personally, I think Will is doing a great job given the circumstances.

sadie

Post by sadie »

SayHello2Heaven wrote:I'm not diehard, but I have listened to every album by them and BGWT and I like him. He came into the band with massive shoes to fill, and very high expectations and I think he's done a good job. We all would prefer Layne, no question about that, but Will is doing a great job.

But if you think about it, you can understand why some diehard AIC fans would hate or dislike Will. When you have such a talent and such a unique musician like Layne, no one can follow or even compare to him. But personally, I think Will is doing a great job given the circumstances.
I'm a diehard AiC fan and a diehard Layne fan, but I agree with Mike.
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar »

I like to compare DuVall to the situation when AC/DC lost Bon Scott. Both singer brought something new to their respective bands. Their sound was their own but the bands spirit remained in tact. You still can listen to them and know right away, that is AIC or that is AC/DC. We all know that AC/DC went on to make a lot of popular songs after Bon died and so can AIC.

I guess I am just happy that the band is still moving forward. People say it's disrespecting Layne but I would think Layne or anyone who dies would like their members to carry on. Bands are like families, if you died, you would want your family to go on without you, right?

Laimonel
Grunge master

Post by Laimonel »

Well, i dont really listen to newer Alice In Chains stuff with DuVall singing, but i can say one thing: Layne could never be replaced

karabearblu
Grunge fan

Post by karabearblu »

I like William. I think most of their new songs are Jerry though. I'd like to hear him on his own a little more. It will never be the same without Layne as everyone knows, but AIC still sounds like AIC and there are a few songs on their latest album that are hauntingly beautiful, which can be said for many songs with Layne. I am drawn to "Your Decision," but like I said, this song is mostly Jerry with Will doing the harmonies. AIC is still one of the few bands that I can listen to over and over and over and over, and not get sick of, so I think that is saying somethin!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/karabearblu/LayneStaleylaynestaley80727copy.jpg[/img]

Priceless Advice
Grunge maniac

Post by Priceless Advice »

I like him.

Hope they release more albums with less of Jerry singing. Take the training wheels off. Carve out a new identity with Will as the principle vocalist/frontman.

Layne was great but it's time to move on.

I don't want another Dirt. I don't want William to feel like he's basically a substitute. I want to see evolution.

SunnyJim

Post by SunnyJim »

I'm hardly an original friend, considering I was about seven when Layne died. But I've been a fan for about two years now, before BGWTB came out. And Will is a good addition to the band, I don't know why people are so bitter and hate him. It's ridiculous. They might as well just say :

"The band's singer died, so they got a new singer because they still want to make music. Fuck them! Those bastards! How dare they want to get on with their careers after several years have passed since the death of their singer!"
Holding back the fool again.

Daffy
Grunge God

Post by Daffy »

Priceless Advice wrote:I like him.

Hope they release more albums with less of Jerry singing. Take the training wheels off. Carve out a new identity with Will as the principle vocalist/frontman.

Layne was great but it's time to move on.

I don't want another Dirt. I don't want William to feel like he's basically a substitute. I want to see evolution.
NEW SINGLE FROM TRIPOD!! SAFE PLACE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMD2YBJ ... e=youtu.be

cobalt
Grunge God

Post by cobalt »

He's great :)
For those about to polka... we salute you

Desiderus
Grunge fanatic

Post by Desiderus »

I actually appreciate William his vocals a lot. I think ‘Last Of My Kind’ is one of the best songs released in 2009. His vocals seem to match those of Jerry and he is an energetic part of the band. I dig the new album! Though, Layne was (and still is) PURE MAGIC…. Nobody can replace Layne’s magic. I guess the people who don’t like William being in AIC expected that he would provide the same amount of magic Layne gave them and that is just impossible. I really don’t mind William being in AIC. They are making new and good music, the fans get a chance to hear some of the old tunes live again and the band seems to have fun!

I hope they will continue playing for a long time, as a little part of the AIC magic is still living on it gives our subculture a chance to carry on for a while longer, and that is what we grunge fans should be going for!
Check out my music blog at Death Valley '88

Ronman
Grunge fan

Post by Ronman »

I like William DuVall's voice, it fits nicely with Jerry's. But of course it's nothing like Layne's. :p

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V »

I didn't like him when I first heard the album, I will say that. Now I like him quite a lot, and I think he and Jerry work really well together. What I don't like is that Jerry had much more input than he did vocally on BGWTB, and I wish he would have took the lead more like Layne did. Layne is my favorite singer and AiC is my favorite band, but Will is probably the best alternative they could have found that still has his own shred of originality that helps the band grow and move forward.
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person

Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea »

Im kind of on the fence. But in the end im just happy that AIC is back together and making music, because as we all know aic is more than just layne
shanze wrote:And you will. You will.

Then you put your spell on him and Jerry shall be yours.

FOREVER!