facelift

Talk about the amazing Alice In Chains here.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

mad_submarine
Grunge zealot

Re: facelift

Post by mad_submarine »

Love, Hate, Love is really one of the best songs ever written. I think that it is not song about everyone and actually you have to be in the right mood to get it. Fucking great.
[color=#004000]I've got a lack.
A lack of half way good and it's all my own.
Only Boris understands.[/color]
joseph
Grunge master

Post by joseph »

the first 6 songs on facelift rock, then it goes downhill, too much glam stuff in the second half.
ISayFuckYouSay...
Grunge God

Post by ISayFuckYouSay... »

joseph wrote:the first 6 songs on facelift rock, then it goes downhill, too much glam stuff in the second half.
DUDE YOU SUCK :P
It's all about the glam stuff XD
[url]http://www.FaceBook.Com/DOGGENSTEIN[/url]
[url]http://www.Doggenstein.BandCamp.Com[/url]
[url]http://www.reverbnation.com/DOGGENSTEIN[/url]
[url]http://www.last.fm/music/doggenstein[/url]
[url]http://signmeto.roadrunnerrecords.com/artists/doggenstein[/url]
KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana »

Oh yeah the glam, I still find that funny, although I do love their early stuff
Oh the horror, THE HORROR

Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support
chops
Grunge maniac

Post by chops »

joseph wrote:the first 6 songs on facelift rock, then it goes downhill, too much glam stuff in the second half.
I agree. I actually found Facelift to be really dull (other than Love, Hate, Love and Bleed the Freak)
AIC's later releases were miles better
"There are two ways to slide easily through life; to believe everything, or to doubt everything. Both ways save us from thinking."- Alfred Korbynski
Stargazer
Grunge guru

Post by Stargazer »

Definitely one of my top albums. Each track is so individual and awesome in its own way.

Love Hate Love is a masterpiece. The power, tone and range in that voice ...so fucking unique. I can't stand the typical love songs which are something like "I've been thinking bout you, bought you some flowers etc". This song is so epic, I love Jerry's solo in it leading up to the finale...christ.

Confusion is another fave, love the chorus in it.
[size=150]If it doesn't say Gary Busey on the tin, it ain't Gary Busey in the tin[/size]
Paul1966
Grunge maniac

Post by Paul1966 »

We Die Young stands up with the heaviest metal ever recorded, that track is a monster when played at any volume.
Earth is the insane asylum of the universe.
StarksPond
Grunge fan

Post by StarksPond »

A really good album. My favourite songs on Facelift are Bleed The Freak, Sunshine, and Love Hate Love.

I like stars.
Paul1966
Grunge maniac

Post by Paul1966 »

[quote="KristinNirvana"]Oh yeah the glam, I still find that funny, although I do love their early stuff
Oh the horror, THE HORROR

I saw a Diamond Lie gig... my buddy John was in a band (that for the life of me I cannot recall the name of) who played with them.
KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana »

My goodness, it seems like you've seen everything. You are sooo lucky. I've only been to a few concerts, though of course all the ones I'd like to go to would be in Seattle in the 80s and 90s, but wow. It does seem like ticket prices are way more expensive nowadays though. I think I was looking up Sonic Youth tickets once and I think it might have been over $100, or possibly like $85, and I keep seeing old flyers for gigs from $4-$10, though of course Sonic Youth is a big band now, but not nearly as big as the mainstream garbage of today, though the guy from White Flag told me he was playing in Aneheim and the flyer said $6, though we don't have gas money to go that far so I couldn't do it. Long story short, I'm sure we're all extremely envious. I know I am. I love how many bands there were too, like in this one Amsot Live clip, they are talking about those cool telephone pole posters and whatnot, and out of the handful he pulled off, one he was saying he liked the artwork on and it was for a band gig, and someone in the audience just goes, "Oh that's my band." Like how cool is it that you can just rip off a band flyer from a pole and take it to a studio audience and someone there will be in that band? Awesome.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support
Paul1966
Grunge maniac

Post by Paul1966 »

The thing with the 'Seattle Scene' is that there really weren't that many people involved. Any gig you'd got to, most of the audience were in other bands in town. That's also why when you look at the 'family tree' of grunge in Seattle, so many musicians were in multiple bands -drummer for one, guitarist for another and singer for a third!

Now as for concert prices... I saw Van Halen in Seattle in 1984 for $20, they were here in May 2012 and the cheapest ticket was $85. I saw Motley Crue open for Ozzy for $18, Black Sabbath for $12, Blue Oyster Cult for $9... The cool thing for the local bands was the cover charge paid for multiple bands.
Ferglius
Grunge God

Post by Ferglius »

We might have been able to do something about these ticket prices if other bands had supported Pearl Jam when they boycotted Ticketmaster... yeah, remember that little gem?
juniperjunk
Grunge maniac

Post by juniperjunk »

Ferglius wrote:We might have been able to do something about these ticket prices if other bands had supported Pearl Jam when they boycotted Ticketmaster... yeah, remember that little gem?
'
YES and even though I don't enjoy Pearl Jam, I'll always admire them for that. More bands should have done it, but they were cowards. Disgusts me.
Ferglius
Grunge God

Post by Ferglius »

Exactly. If the major bands of the day had joined the boycott there would have been major repercussions and they might have had a chance to change how the music industry is run and operated. But now we'll never know.
jkftw23
Grunge fanatic

Post by jkftw23 »

Unfortunately the way things are now companies like ticketmaster have a leg up on bands and management, etc. The only real way bands make money is on tour and making records is more now about fueling the tour, rather than the other way around.
Last edited by jkftw23 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.