heavy metal or grunge?

Talk about the amazing Alice In Chains here.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Beeswax
Grunge God

Re: heavy metal or grunge?

Post by Beeswax »

I think the closest to "grunge doom" you can get are the Melvins. If I had to consider Alice something else, then it'd be alternative metal. :)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/rissa333/andycolorbar.png[/img]

Luciditypro
Grunge God

Post by Luciditypro »

^
!

This
Shake it like a Polaroid picture.

Follow your dreams, no one can stop you.
Except a person in a tank.
A person in a tank could probably stop you.

harrytruman
Grunge maniac

Post by harrytruman »

grunge there were the grunge movement
[quote="incessantmace"]No. He was there before Earth Itself was created. He Is the One who commands the Old Ones in shock and awe simply by being. Eons shrink to mere instants before Him, and Eternity itself is dwarfed by His sheer Existence. He Is, Was and Shall Forever Be, because Life and Death and Matter and Space and Time rest upon the Cosmic Entity of Entities that is Him. harrytruman.[/quote]

JayGarden
Grunge maniac

Post by JayGarden »

they were a part of the grunge movement because they combined grunge with already popular genres. Metal's way more popular than grunge.

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

They were a part of the grunge movement because music labels said so :P
when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

Could you argue though that grunge wasn't really one particular sound since you've got bands like Nirvana, Love Battery, Pearl Jam, Tad etc. all under the grunge banner. They were a part of that grunge scene, but their sound is heavy metal.

otherimprov
Site Admin

Post by otherimprov »

Layne would always talk to Tom morello how metal was their music
Eat your water and drink your vegetables

JayGarden
Grunge maniac

Post by JayGarden »

Schneider wrote:Could you argue though that grunge wasn't really one particular sound since you've got bands like Nirvana, Love Battery, Pearl Jam, Tad etc. all under the grunge banner. They were a part of that grunge scene, but their sound is heavy metal.
Actually, I can. After hearing over 150 grunge albums, I've come to the conclusion that grunge is a form of alternative rock that has less emphasis on reverb and more emphasis on anger and angst, with a somewhat very deep bass line and extremely fuzzy guitars, along with lazy vocal delivery which is not a trait of punk or alternative and emotional yet not sappy lyrics, delivered in a way that's heavy for its own deep sound. But grunge can be combined with plenty: punk, alternative rock, metal, pop rock, power pop, glam rock, emo, midwest emo, garage rock, post-hardcore, shoegaze, psychedelic rock, neo-psychedelia, indie rock, stoner rock, noise rock, noise pop, and more.

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

JayGarden wrote: Actually, I can. After hearing over 150 grunge albums, I've come to the conclusion that grunge is a form of alternative rock that has less emphasis on reverb
what :)

when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why

grappler
Grunge fanatic

Post by grappler »

If we were to drop the useless label that "grunge" is, arguing about this particular definition wouldn't matter.

JayGarden
Grunge maniac

Post by JayGarden »

Sorlag wrote:
JayGarden wrote: Actually, I can. After hearing over 150 grunge albums, I've come to the conclusion that grunge is a form of alternative rock that has less emphasis on reverb
what :)

I meant in terms of production, not the tunes themselves. Even then, it seems like less emphasis that most alternative albums. Not to mention, there's still the angst, the heavy usage of light cymbals, and thedeep riffs.

Moon_Jelly
Grunge fan

Post by Moon_Jelly »

Grunge mostly refers to the alternative rock scene in Seattle. That being said, I would say they are grunge, but leaned more towards metal, much like how Nirvana leaned towards punk

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

Started out as metal, then had their Soundgarden Lightbulb Moment and went grunge :P
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

XsInMyEyes
Grunge guru

Post by XsInMyEyes »

Grunge, Ive never thought of Alice as a “metal” band
Ive loved metal for years, but AiC are not that, they’re something even better
It's hard to start things over, You can feel the fire around us, All the time.