The Tripod (S/T Alice in Chains) thread!

Talk about the amazing Alice In Chains here.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

SayHello2Heaven

Re: The Tripod (S/T Alice in Chains) thread!

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:44 pm

sodajerk93 wrote:I didn't realize Jack Endino played drums either, thought he was just a guitar/bass kind of guy.
Yeah, I think it was in Hype! or some other documentry he said in order to be at least a good producer you have to play every instrument at least medicorely to begin understanding the production board....So it's understandable.

JAMik
Grunge maniac

Post by JAMik » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:07 pm

For sure it wasn't in Hype! but I think that every good producer have to know some basic stuff about each instrument that he wanna record.He should know when drummer is playing to quite and when to loud,and other stuff like that.
Check my band POLIGON NR. 4 (GRUNGE) on YOUTUBE or FACEBOOK or TWITTER or INSTAGRAM

"I should be dead by know..."

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:46 pm

Jack Endino says in Grunge is Dead that he used to play all of the instruments and produce his own music, and that's how Skin Yard started. He wrote, played, and produced everything, and then he brought some guys over to produce their song or whatever and they listened to his shit and made a sideband.
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person

GrungeAddiction
Grunge prophet

Post by GrungeAddiction » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:55 pm

I always thought the songs were a bit more Doped out, and yeah i love the radio friendlylessness.

God..Shame in You..Frogs, Head Creeps, again with songs that some of you guys noted. I'm not sure if QOTR counts.. but i love that song too.

the self titled was just chill, with the right kind of edge for me. The thing is, to me. ALL of Dirt's songs were amazing songs, didn't dislike one. But the self-titles gave us that real sense of who Alice in Chains is, and Dirt and other albums just like..blew minds.

I always thought their songs we're very similar, but so different at once. Like..grind and again.

Like, in facelift, they brought a that self-title feel with Confusion into it.
:|

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:27 pm

That's kind of what I think, too. Although Dirt is one of my favorite albums ever, it doesn't really capture everything Alice in Chains is about in the way that the self titled does. Shame in You is like, a conditional, yet unbound take on depression in my book. Truthfully I don't even know most of the lyrics, but the way the singing and the instruments SOUND, that's what I get. The song is one of the only ways I can even imagine capturing the feeling I get from it...the somber, low, yet completely content feeling. It's truly amazing.
Frogs, Over Now, Brush Away and God Am all make me feel deep emotion, something I don't get from much other music. Dirt has some songs, like Rooster, that make me feel the same way - but even Rooster isn't as soundscape-y and emotion dominated as half of the songs on the self titled.

I mean really, aside from Heaven Beside You, the self titled is pretty perfect. It captures more emotion, to me, than any other album (that I've heard) ever has. Not only vocally, but the guitar and bass and drums do, too. That's something incredibly rare in music...something that you can hear very slightly in Facelift, a lot more in Dirt, and entirely in Alice in Chains. Jar of Flies is their second most emotional, but Swing On This kind of throws it off.
otherimprov wrote:

GrungeAddiction
Grunge prophet

Post by GrungeAddiction » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:34 pm

Slugg wrote:That's kind of what I think, too. Although Dirt is one of my favorite albums ever, it doesn't really capture everything Alice in Chains is about in the way that the self titled does. Shame in You is like, a conditional, yet unbound take on depression in my book. Truthfully I don't even know most of the lyrics, but the way the singing and the instruments SOUND, that's what I get. The song is one of the only ways I can even imagine capturing the feeling I get from it...the somber, low, yet completely content feeling. It's truly amazing.
Frogs, Over Now, Brush Away and God Am all make me feel deep emotion, something I don't get from much other music. Dirt has some songs, like Rooster, that make me feel the same way - but even Rooster isn't as soundscape-y and emotion dominated as half of the songs on the self titled.

I mean really, aside from Heaven Beside You, the self titled is pretty perfect. It captures more emotion, to me, than any other album (that I've heard) ever has. Not only vocally, but the guitar and bass and drums do, too. That's something incredibly rare in music...something that you can hear very slightly in Facelift, a lot more in Dirt, and entirely in Alice in Chains. Jar of Flies is their second most emotional, but Swing On This kind of throws it off.
exactly. i always loved unplugged sludge factory, as well as normal too.. LOL swing on this is such a random song. i love their random songs that make no sense sometimes.. just sometimes.

I always thought Heaven Beside You is beautiful. Jerry has a nice voice on him..i always thought so.. It's less more..hmm.. Intense, but still as chilling as the rest of the AIC songs IMO.

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:39 pm

GrungeAddiction wrote:
Slugg wrote:That's kind of what I think, too. Although Dirt is one of my favorite albums ever, it doesn't really capture everything Alice in Chains is about in the way that the self titled does. Shame in You is like, a conditional, yet unbound take on depression in my book. Truthfully I don't even know most of the lyrics, but the way the singing and the instruments SOUND, that's what I get. The song is one of the only ways I can even imagine capturing the feeling I get from it...the somber, low, yet completely content feeling. It's truly amazing.

exactly. i always loved unplugged sludge factory, as well as normal too.. LOL swing on this is such a random song. i love their random songs that make no sense sometimes.. just sometimes.

I always thought Heaven Beside You is beautiful. Jerry has a nice voice on him..i always thought so.. It's less more..hmm.. Intense, but still as chilling as the rest of the AIC songs IMO.
I love Heaven Beside You's riff, but I hate the "So there's problems in your life" part. It just ruins the entire song for me. It's funny, because it's a favorite of everyone I know around here that listens to AiC - including my mom. I'll listen to it if it's on, but I usually skip it when I listen to Tripod.

Swing on This and Love Song are both really frustrating for me. Love Song is funny as hell, but it always pisses me off when I'm trying to engulf myself in a mood. When I feel shitty, I listen to tons of AiC...and those two songs always completely trip me up and knock me out of my trance.
otherimprov wrote:

GrungeAddiction
Grunge prophet

Post by GrungeAddiction » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:10 pm

Haha yeah i get what you mean.

I like the cheesyness of some words in Heaven beside you :P

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:42 am

Slugg wrote:
SayHello2Heaven wrote:Chris Cornell drummed in a band with Mr. Poneman (Sub Pop head honcho) before joining Soundgarden. I forget the name of the band, but they released one record, I think only 25 or 50 actually exist, and it was a hillbilly/country joke band. They would go on stage with overalls, straw hats, and boots and bashed out a bunch of country tunes....Wacky.
Are you talking about The Shemps with Chris Cornell? I know he drummed for them, I just don't know who was in it. I think Kim Thayil played bass in it, though.
The Shemps was a cover band with Chris drumming and Hiro Yamamoto playing bass (who was subsequently replaced by Kim Thayil). The weird country combo you're talking about was called Center for Disease Control Boys, and apart from Chris (who drummed for them as well) and Jon Poneman it also had the late Ben McMillan among its ranks.

:arrow: on topic: I like Heaven Beside You. It's like a break of sunlight inbetween all the fog and the dark haze on Tripod. Might not be their most timeless or gigantic effort but it fits in very well in my opinion.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

jpinsdg
Grunge fan

Post by jpinsdg » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:28 pm

i bought tripod when it hit the stores and as it was an album that took a bit of getting used to ( mostly because it was unlike damn near any and all aic that was released to date) i shortly fell in love with the album and despite the albums CRITICAL (what the fuck do they know there all about number sales from poser teens who follow fads and aren't down for shit anyways into the scene) failure I realized that on many levels aic had not only not gone glam but changed there style in such a way that made their music new and beautiful. i could understand the levels of addiction that layne was enduring at the time because i was in my own drug induced downfalls as well but this album helped to bring me up when i had nothing at the time. the year was 1997 and my girlfriend and i split. this album helped me reattach to everything i knew and let me feel their world. since then ive never seen an aic concert with layne unfortunately i didn't have th money at the time but i saw jerry cantrell back in 2001 aic in 2005 aic in 2011 all the new band and listened to their new album i love the way they went with it. i love jerrys own work. i just love anything that aic does. well except for the filler songs on many of their albums which really are more or less noise but for the most part aic will never ever fall short of greatness. you can count on that. GOD AM!!!!!!

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:50 am

What does it say about me that if I see "Tripod" anywhere I think of Daffy's band and not the AiC album anymore? :P :lol:
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:21 pm

^Same!
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:08 pm

You know, the band don't call it Tripod, they call it The Dog Album. Kinda funny if you think about it.
:twisted: