STP File Lawsuit against Weiland

STP. Good motor oil. Better band.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Y2K-kyle

STP File Lawsuit against Weiland

Post by Y2K-kyle »

Via GrungeReport

The Stone Temple Pilots soap opera continues, as TMZ reports that STP have filed a lawsuit against their former frontman Scott Weiland. STP members Dean DeLeo, Robert DeLeo, and Eric Kretz allege that Scott Weiland cost the band millions of dollars by sabotaging their tour last year, which was originally planned to be a Core 20th Anniversary tour where the band would play Core in its entirety. They claim Weiland sabotaged the tour by constantly showing up late, and also missing rehearsals and promotional appearances. They are seeking unspecified damages but claim that Weiland cost them millions of dollars.

The lawsuit claims that Weiland’s lawyer called the head of programming at KROQ, a Los Angeles modern rock station, and said if the station played STP’s new track “Out of Time” featuring new frontman Chester Bennington it would be infringing on Weiland’s rights.

“Enough is enough,” the band’s lawsuit states. “Without relief from the court, Weiland will continue violating STP’s rights, misappropriating STP assets and interfering with the band’s livelihood.” The band also want to stop Weiland from being able to promote himself as a former member of STP. The lawsuit also claims that the DeLeo brothers and Eric Kretz are the rightful owners of the STP name.

The band claim Weiland stopped communicating with them, and planned to take all of the money for himself by “hijacking” the tour with a solo tour of his own to mark Core’s 20th anniversary (The Purple at the Core tour). This is an interesting turn of events, as Weiland hinted that he would sue STP if they carried on without him and that they legally couldn’t. The tables have now turned, and now STP are suing Weiland. What a clusterfuck. At least we’ll see a reunion of the original STP lineup in court! Scott Weiland is scheduled to kick off the latest leg of his solo tour next Wednesday in Los Angeles, while Stone Temple Pilots are scheduled to perform next Thursday in Los Angeles.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep
SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Re: STP File Lawsuit against Weiland

Post by SKUNCHBAG »

Hire the Linkin Park guy, sue the rocker, walk away rich with Aerosmith albums in hand and your nasty tight-balls pants and shirts.

Fuckers.
sky above, voice within
Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle »

Scott Weiland's response to STP going on with Chester:

A letter to my fans,

Like everybody else out there, I read about my band, Stone Temple Pilots, and their recent performance this past weekend with a new singer. To tell you the truth, it took me by surprise. And it hurt.

But the band that played last weekend was not Stone Temple Pilots and it was wrong of them to present themselves as that.

First of all they don't have the legal right to call themselves STP because I'm still a member of the band. And more importantly, they don't have the ethical right to call themselves Stone Temple Pilots because it's misleading and dishonest to the millions of fans that have followed us for so many years.

When I tour on my own, it's never as Stone Temple Pilots. It's as Scott Weiland. The fans deserve to know what they're getting.

Like any band that's stood the test of time and made music for more than two decades, STP had a special alchemy - the four of us together were greater than any one of us apart. So if my former bandmates want to tour with a new singer, that's their prerogative.

I don't give a fuck what they call themselves, but it's not Stone Temple Pilots.
And so I say to you, our fans, I'll see you out there on the road this summer where I'm touring as "Scott Weiland" with my band The Wildabouts. But don't give up on STP. I know I haven't.

~ Scott
otherimprov wrote:
S0undGardener
Grunge fanatic

Post by S0undGardener »

Y2K-kyle wrote: At least we’ll see a reunion of the original STP lineup in court!
i fuckin loled.

This whole band fight is someting beyond my understanding...
When u hate someone so much why the fuck you play with him?
I play in 2 bands myself and I couldn't imagine sharing my creativity with someone who I, at least, dont like...
What else is beyond my understaing? The legend of Scott Weiland...
From what I've seen and red I can tell that Scott is an enormous douche + he sucked live from their early career (so it's not about drugs making him worse and worse... he has always been a crappy singer! Just watch their old shows from the years of Core on youtube) + to me he behave on stage like a fuckin clown... not charismatic at all (just my personal feeling).
So all in all I stand by the rest of the band - hope they'll bury that motherfucker down...
Clowns don't deserve anything but a cream pie in the face
Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle »

S0undGardener wrote: From what I've seen and red I can tell that Scott is an enormous douche + he sucked live from their early career (so it's not about drugs making him worse and worse... he has always been a crappy singer!
Um.....I'll argue this. He's like my 2nd or 3rd favorite singer.
otherimprov wrote:
S0undGardener
Grunge fanatic

Post by S0undGardener »

Y2K-kyle wrote:
S0undGardener wrote: From what I've seen and red I can tell that Scott is an enormous douche + he sucked live from their early career (so it's not about drugs making him worse and worse... he has always been a crappy singer!
Um.....I'll argue this. He's like my 2nd or 3rd favorite singer.
I haven't came across even one show where he was able to pull of vocals at at least ACCEPTABLE level...
But I haven't digged too deep tbh...
any proofs (yt links) of me being wrong?
Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle »

Well, let's if I can find some of my favorite live renditions shall we?

Here's my first. Crackerman has become a favorite of mine, and I thought this acoustic version was fantastic.

This classic rendition of Plush is legendary.

Now for some Velvet Revolver! I randomly found this live version of Gravedancer, and I love it. This is just me though.

Sucker Trains Blues from Live at Houston 2004. This will be either a hit or miss to be honest.

This version of Sex Type Thing from STP's Unplugged set is also legendary.

There's my stuff.
otherimprov wrote:
S0undGardener
Grunge fanatic

Post by S0undGardener »

whoah

I'm pretty surprised... in a positive way.
I hate VR but these old STP stuff is more than great.
Crackerman sounds better than the original one, Plush as well..
And I really like his image... he is focused, modest, ...very emotional.
total opposite to what he presents nowadays.
It looks like he actually had some good time... but it was so short period that it's really hard to find some decent live records among all those crappy performances...

anyway... the 'old Scott' has gained my respect;)
Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

He's right about that though. Without Scott Weiland, it's not STP. They should change their name just like AIC should have after they took on that DuVall guy. If they did, perhaps I'd like DuVall but I can't while they use that name - it's wrong. Few seem to agree with me on that. Would Nirvana have been Nirvana if they replaced Kurt and carried on? Or in your hearts, would Nirvana have ended April 5th 1994? Would Pearl Jam be Pearl Jam without Vedder? What would Mudhoney be without Mark Arm? I do believe that when the frontman goes, that band is over; if the rest of the band continue playing with a new frontman, they should change their name and move on.
Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola »

Duvall was a nobody.

CB is the singer of the most annoyingly popular band.
Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

Chester Bennington is a...

Fuzz Face
Grunge prophet

Post by Fuzz Face »

S0undGardener wrote:
Y2K-kyle wrote:

It´s all about the money...
I mean if you made an awful lot of money and you lead a good life by the help of that money, would you throw it all away because the relationship with your bandmates has worsened? I don´t think so, you´d try to keep it alive as long as possible. On the one hand because it means a lot to you, on the other hand because you´re afraid of not being successful as a solo artist.
SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG »

Schneider wrote:Chester Bennington is a...

cunt
/fixed

What if you went to a Jimi Hendrix concert, but you only heard Billy Cox speaking through a microphone? I hope everybody gets my point here.
sky above, voice within
Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle »

Fuzz Face wrote:
S0undGardener wrote:
It´s all about the money...
I mean if you made an awful lot of money and you lead a good life by the help of that money, would you throw it all away because the relationship with your bandmates has worsened? I don´t think so, you´d try to keep it alive as long as possible. On the one hand because it means a lot to you, on the other hand because you´re afraid of not being successful as a solo artist.
Fixed. Fuzz Face accidentally quoted the wrong person lol

But yes, it is all about and always is about the money.
otherimprov wrote:
Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle »

Schneider wrote:He's right about that though. Without Scott Weiland, it's not STP. They should change their name just like AIC should have after they took on that DuVall guy. If they did, perhaps I'd like DuVall but I can't while they use that name - it's wrong. Few seem to agree with me on that. Would Nirvana have been Nirvana if they replaced Kurt and carried on? Or in your hearts, would Nirvana have ended April 5th 1994? Would Pearl Jam be Pearl Jam without Vedder? What would Mudhoney be without Mark Arm? I do believe that when the frontman goes, that band is over; if the rest of the band continue playing with a new frontman, they should change their name and move on.
This entire situation has reminded me of the Alice in Chains argument. And that reminds of me of what happened to AC/DC. They lost their original singer, went through the process of finding someone to replace him, with permission from his family of course, and they find someone who sounds like their original singer; however, this happened EARLY into their career. Hence why few people give them shit. The case with AiC and STP is that they are further along without their frontman. Like AC/DC, AiC lost Lanye, and stayed inactive for a number of years, even when he was alive they didn't perform cause Layne was so fucked up on drugs. They went through the same steps that AC/DC did: find someone new, gain permission to use the name from the late singer's family, and make an album, and dedicate it to the original singer's memory.

In that instance, I am okay with majority of the band going on with their original name. STP's case, well no, I'm not a fan of it, but it is really about the money.

And just to play with Dan, if Nirvana continued on with someone else, you know as well as I that Courtney would of stopped that shit faster than the speed of light, and the fans would turn on them. Same goes to Pearl Jam and Mudhoney.

Different situations, different circumstances.
otherimprov wrote: