Mudhoney are better than Nirvana!

Every good boy deserves fudge, and every grunge kid deserves fuzz!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Whose better, Mudhoney or Nirvana?

Mudhoney
28%
Nirvana
72%

Total votes: 88

subpop1999
Grunge God

Re: Mudhoney are better than Nirvana!

Post by subpop1999 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:49 pm

THE.

THE box.
Fuck this American bullshit, I'm from Yorkshire, and it's Yorkshire day. Let's go eat some tatties and Yorkshire pudding.

BleedTheFreak
Grunge guru

Post by BleedTheFreak » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:21 am

Fuzz Face wrote:I would say that Mudhoney and Nirvana can´t be easily compared, because first of all: Nirvanas catalogue is rather small compared to Mudhoneys steadily growing stache of interesting releases. But let me say this: To my ears Mudhoney sound a lot cheaper then Nirvana (that´s not supposed to be an offense) and certainly a lot more agressive, but they lack the certain PUNCH that Nirvana had and that they still maintained, despite all their commercially polished sound aesthetic.
Agreed. I love Mudhoney, but Kurt was always much better at expressing many different types of pain, agony and euphoria than Mark has been. I'm not 100% when you say "commercially polished sound" because the only Nirvana songs that match that aesthetic are the tunes off of Nevermind. But there are tunes on In Utero and unreleased demos that Kurt did that are more deeper, dark, and raw sounding than anything Arm has done up to this point. That being said, Mark and Kurt are both probably equally versed at making good, loud and catchy tunes and Mudhoney is very respectable in their own right.

Also, for reference and comparison if you guys don't listen to enough Mudhoney or Nirvana to draw to a conclusion:

"Black windows of paint; I scratched with my nails." | "In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies."
instagram | 90's tumblr | No, I still don't listen to Pearl Jam.

JayGarden
Grunge maniac

Post by JayGarden » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:41 am

Mudhoney. Superfuzz Bigmuff isn't just a grunge album. It IS grunge. Grunge might've been started by bands like Green River and U-Men, but Mudhoney gave it life.

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:08 pm

BleedTheFreak wrote:
Fuzz Face wrote:I would say that Mudhoney and Nirvana can´t be easily compared, because first of all: Nirvanas catalogue is rather small compared to Mudhoneys steadily growing stache of interesting releases. But let me say this: To my ears Mudhoney sound a lot cheaper then Nirvana (that´s not supposed to be an offense) and certainly a lot more agressive, but they lack the certain PUNCH that Nirvana had and that they still maintained, despite all their commercially polished sound aesthetic.
Agreed. I love Mudhoney, but Kurt was always much better at expressing many different types of pain, agony and euphoria than Mark has been. I'm not 100% when you say "commercially polished sound" because the only Nirvana songs that match that aesthetic are the tunes off of Nevermind. But there are tunes on In Utero and unreleased demos that Kurt did that are more deeper, dark, and raw sounding than anything Arm has done up to this point. That being said, Mark and Kurt are both probably equally versed at making good, loud and catchy tunes and Mudhoney is very respectable in their own right.

Also, for reference and comparison if you guys don't listen to enough Mudhoney or Nirvana to draw to a conclusion:

how on earth do you compete with someone whos died violently (by murder/suicide/whatever) over twenty years ago if the competition is based on who has more convincingly presented their pain and anguish? Had Kurt lived and had a career that lasted up until this point and beyond would people really take titles like "I hate myself and want to die" or lines like "Look on the bright side suicide" to be all that deep and dark? Rememeber that band who hoped they died before they got old? and then they got old...and older....and older and older and older.

JayGarden
Grunge maniac

Post by JayGarden » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:12 am

For me, when comparing two bands, it's merely a mattar of how their albums stack up.

It's Mudhoney.

Superfuzz Bigmuff
Nevermind
Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge
In Utero
Piece of Cake
MTV Unplugged

Top three from each.

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:58 pm

My Brother the Cow is Mudhoneys best album by a landslide in my opinion....like twice as good as anything else if you had to put a value on it..... Incesticide is my fave Nirvana Album....least fave Nirvana album would maybe be a tie between In Utero and Bleach.....not that I hate either...Mudhoney....I really can't listen to Since We've Become Translucent....hate to say it but its awful.

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:16 pm

Hello.

I am an apple.
And I am an orange.

You can compare us if you'd like. We have some similarities as we are both fruits. However we think you will find some people prefer one of us over the other, while some people think we are both very good, and yet other might dislike us both.

Thank you and good night.

otherimprov
Site Admin

Post by otherimprov » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:58 pm

boxcar wrote:Hello.

I am an apple.
And I am an orange.

You can compare us if you'd like. We have some similarities as we are both fruits. However we think you will find some people prefer one of us over the other, while some people think we are both very good, and yet other might dislike us both.

well said Bobo
Eat your water and drink your vegetables

JayGarden
Grunge maniac

Post by JayGarden » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:51 pm

boxcar wrote:Hello.

I am an apple.
And I am an orange.

Exactly! It's either you like any of the bands or you don't! You can just like either of the fruits, or you don't! Comparing them isn't needed. If you could compare them, I would do it like so,... is this a better apple than the orange, or is the orange in question better than the apple? In this case, I'd say Mudhoney are a better band than Nirvana because, they have better albums, Mark Arm's a better vocalist by a slight bit, the solos and riffs rock more, better lyrics, and they have better songs overall. And before anyone mentions Nirvana's short discography, let's keep in mind the vast number of songs we know from compilations and live albums. Mudhoney's better IMO.

otherimprov
Site Admin

Post by otherimprov » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:19 pm

I'm never gonna vote. Mudhoney and Nirvana? I'm gonna talk one on one if ever the person who made this thread comes back
Eat your water and drink your vegetables

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:16 am

otherimprov wrote:I'm never gonna vote. Mudhoney and Nirvana? I'm gonna talk one on one if ever the person who made this thread comes back
I'm never going to vote either. Like Dan said, it is comparing apples to oranges.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:08 am

It says I've voted on Nirvana, how? I'd never, I love Mudhoney, like one page back I recommend Superfuzz Bigmuff over Nevermind. By the way I can't see me voting on this, like Dan said it is comparing apples to oranges. And even if I would vote I'd probably pick Mudhoney because I'm that person (and I was that person, especially in 2011) who's gonna be the special snowflake and not go with the popular vote. THUS THIS IS A MYSTERY!!!!!!!!!!
when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why