Monkeywrench

Every good boy deserves fudge, and every grunge kid deserves fuzz!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

SayHello2Heaven

Monkeywrench

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:38 pm

I remember we discussed how there wasn't a Monkeywrench thread. Well here it is!!!!

A really great band guys, you all should check them out. :)

They formed in 1991 with our favorite guys, Mark Arm and Steve Turner of Mudhoney, but also hooked up with Tim Kerr who was in Poison 13 and Big Boys, Tom Price of Gas Huffer and U-Men, and Martin Bland of Lubricated Goat, Bloodloss, and The Primevils....Not to mention he has a really intresting solo thing going on at the moment. Pretty neat :D

Ok, introductions aside, based on the band members a bunch of you are probably asking yourself: "Well Mike, this supergroup has some really great muscicians in it, but do they sound good?"......And the answer is ABSO-FUCKING-LUTELY!!!!! they have a bluesy and psycadelic type of feel to their music. Something a bit different than what most of the bands were doing in 1991. Everything just seemed to fit like a puzzle and the music they made just makes you happy. There albums remind me a lot of how people describe Mad Season's "Above"; that there are so few bad songs that there is no need to skip over anything. Each song has a special and unique twist to them all :)

Sub Pop signed them (of course) and recorded their first album "Clean As A Broken Dick Dog" at Egg Studios with Conrad Uno. They also did a cover of Blue Cheer's "Out Of Focus" which I just found out and is very cool :geek: They had Jack Endino produce their next album "Electric Children" released in 2000, and just recently released a new album called "Gabriel's Horn"

Now your asking yourself, why is there such a big gap between their first release and their second? well, you know, Mark and Steve was in a band called Mudhoney who were doing pretty decently, and Kerr was working at Estrus Records recording and playing in some pretty cool bands such as Lord Hi-Fixers. So they were busy with that, but once they had free time on their hands they began making some music!!! good thing they did, because it all is brilliant!

Empyrean
Grunge fanatic

Re: Monkeywrench

Post by Empyrean » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:50 pm

I had a hard time tracking down the albums for these guys, but still it was worth it. You're right, they definitely have a bluesy psychedelic feel. "Electric Children" is also a really good album. Couple of the songs have a bit of a Mudhoney feel as well, but given the singer, no surprise there.

Oh, and by the way Phantasma, love the avatar of the banned Tad cover. You wouldn't by chance own that version? If so, next time I'm downstate I might have to stop by your place and steal it. *Laughs*

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:20 pm

:lol:
I do own the banned cover....Good luck finding it :twisted:

Empyrean
Grunge fanatic

Post by Empyrean » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:09 pm

Lucky you! Must have cost a bundle, unless you got a great find.

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:17 pm

10 bucks at a record shop by my school....I don't spend above 15 or 20 bucks for anything no matter how rare....I'm a but of a pennypincher :lol:

Onion Rat

Post by Onion Rat » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:04 am

Monkeywrench're great! :D

I've got access to "Gabriel's Horn", and "Clean As A Broke-Dick Dog". Absoloutely worth a listen once in a while! :D
[img]http://cavestory.org/images/balrog3frog.gif[/img]

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:54 am

"Clean As A Broken Dick Dog" is a great album. I prefer Electric Children a tad bit more but both are truly great records. I still haven't gotten my hands on "Gabriel's Horn"

Onion Rat

Post by Onion Rat » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:59 am

Gabriel's Horn is great! Love it.
[img]http://cavestory.org/images/balrog3frog.gif[/img]

sadie

Post by sadie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:31 am

http://discosgrunge.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... rench.html
Here's a link to downloads.

(ofcourse you should also try to buy all the ones you are able to find!)
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

Thurston_Whore
Grunge zealot

Post by Thurston_Whore » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:55 am

I own all their releases a great band and i'd love to catch them live one day,I was wondering has anybody hear heard Steve Tuners (mudhoney) solo records? he has done some great solso albums and i suggeswt anyone who aint heard em to go and buy them now :)
[b]''If I'm the guy you're lookin' for
Just look down under some rock''[/b]

inzedit
Grunge maniac

Post by inzedit » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:45 pm

Good music, but i rarely sidten to them. If i have to choose betwwen them or mudhoney i have no doubt!
I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave,
Trust me Trust me Trust me

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:47 am

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:00 am

Thank you for bringing this thread to my attention. They covered an Elevators song and are therefore cool.