Recently got into Sonic Youth

Kim Gordon & Thurston Moore have been kicking it hard for over 20 years and they can still put on a mean show. Talk about these New York gods here!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

juniperjunk
Grunge maniac

Re: Recently got into Sonic Youth

Post by juniperjunk » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:48 pm

Glad I could help :)

This album is pretty relevant too, it's about living in seattle during the grunge explosion.

Sweet69
Grunge fanatic

Post by Sweet69 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:38 pm

TheBrothersMudd wrote:I always knew about them, but never really went out of my way to listen to them, but I did now, and Oh my god, one of the greatest bands I've ever heard. 20 minute version of the Diamond Sea kicks so much ass.
:) Hell yea...was just listening to that one last night and might again soon...I really love the ending of that song, just crazy guitar feedback .
My radio show's podcast archive: http://bit.ly/1ettUGA

http://www.radiovalencia.fm

CurlyFry
Grunge fan

Post by CurlyFry » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:18 pm

My friend and I joined forces and have successfully, between the two of us, managed to get every Sonic Youth album. Personal favourite will always be Daydream Nation.
Please check out and like my friend's band: Intrepid
http://www.facebook.com/Intrepidtheband

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:54 pm

After much time, I finally listened to Sonic Youth. Listened to Dirty & Hits Are For Squares, and I bought Dirty soon afterward. So good.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

otherimprov
Site Admin

Post by otherimprov » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:57 pm

Y2K-kyle wrote:After much time, I finally listened to Sonic Youth. Listened to Dirty & Hits Are For Squares, and I bought Dirty soon afterward. So good.
No Kyle, I didn't expect that from you
I'm huge freaking fan of them from small age.. My sons name is a tribute to them
Eat your water and drink your vegetables

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:22 am

Didn't expect me to not have ever listen to them? I know surprising. :lol:
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

BleedTheFreak
Grunge guru

Post by BleedTheFreak » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:46 pm

'Daydream Nation' was the first CD that I ever bought by them, searched all over the city for it and found it for 22 bucks, came back to the same store a few weeks later and there was a new copy for $8.

As of right now, Confusion Is Sex is my favorite by them, I even have a shirt of it.
"Black windows of paint; I scratched with my nails." | "In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies."
instagram | 90's tumblr | No, I still don't listen to Pearl Jam.

coolcat
Grunge maniac

Post by coolcat » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:06 pm

Other than Daydream Nation and Dirty Boots I never really got into them. Cool sound, just not for me?

swamptoad
Grunge fan

Post by swamptoad » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:54 pm

Oh there's like so very many gems to be found on Sonic Youth. Much of what I found were also included in Alternative compilation cds or cassettes. They are on the "Just Say Noel" (Sant Doesn't Cope Out On Dope) they are on the Suburbia soundtrack, I really like the song "Sunday" Also like Thurstson Moore's "Ono Soul"

I think on the first Buy Product cd, there's an instrumental of the song "Little Trouble Girl" from Sonic Youth. But I love the original as well that features vocals from Kim Gordon also of Sonic Youth and Kim Deal of (The Breeders.)

Oh yes, and I too love that very long rendition of "The Diamond Sea" spooky, eery, melodic, haunting, superbly noisy!

swamptoad
Grunge fan

Post by swamptoad » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:03 pm

juniperjunk wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:52 am
Change that!
Love this band! I love how playing the song "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" is quite nearly doo-wop alternative, lol
Love to play it on guitar.