Thurston Moore...A Teacher?

Kim Gordon & Thurston Moore have been kicking it hard for over 20 years and they can still put on a mean show. Talk about these New York gods here!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

SayHello2Heaven

Thurston Moore...A Teacher?

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:15 pm

Sonic Youth co-leader Thurston Moore released his largely acoustic solo album Demolished Thoughts last month, but he's keeping a relatively light touring schedule, which leaves him time to take on other projects. Like, say, teaching a writing workshop at the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics. (Yes, that is a real place.)

As the Sonic Youth Twitter points, out Colorado Daily reports that Moore will spend July 4-10 as a visiting instructor at the Summer Writing Program at the Kerouac School, which is part of Naropa University in Boulder. DJ Spooky and producer Hal Willner are also visiting instructors. Moore's workshop is called Economics of the Counter-Culture: Performance, Publishing, Collaboration.

Talking to Colorado Daily, Moore says, "I've been asked to teach many times before, but I've never taken the bait. This is the first time I've had time to do it. Normally, I spend my summers touring. I'll be leaving for Chicago to keep touring as soon as I'm finished teaching... I'm curious to see who the students are and the kind of scene it will be. There are a lot of surprises in store." (When Moore mentions Chicago, by the way, he's talking about the Pitchfork Music Festival.)

In other Moore news, the Matablog points out that he recently taped an episode of the "Take Away Shows", a video performance series from the French website La Blogothèque. In the video clips below, Moore sits down in his Manhattan apartment to tell New York stories and to perform Demolished Thoughts songs with violinist Samara Lubelski backing him up.

Credit: Pitchfork
http://www.pitchfork.com/news/42817-thu ... -workshop/

Canucker
Grunge God

Re: Thurston Moore...A Teacher?

Post by Canucker » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:13 pm

I bet he starts ditching class on the second day and shows up late on the first day.

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:41 pm

He would be the greatest teacher in the world. What a mind to learn from, and his whole punk and DIY attitude should make class an adventure everytime!

sadie

Post by sadie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:51 pm

Found this, it's from Thurston's basement.. I want to have those.

I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

SunnyJim

Post by SunnyJim » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:48 am

Very interesting. I'd love to go to the "The Jack Kerouac School
of Disembodied Poetics" :lol: I really would. I love that name, also.
Holding back the fool again.

ImBored
Grunge God

Post by ImBored » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:08 pm

where is that?, i want to go
gs asgjgfzsdf nz