What are you currently listening to?

Bored? Here is a fun section for games of all kinds. Song games, trivia quizzes and lots of other fun activities can be found here. From time to time us kind folks at Grunge Forum will put one of our prized possessions up for grabs as well. Check it out here, you might be that lucky one!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Re: What are you currently listening to?

Post by SKUNCHBAG »

PunkingtonGrunge wrote:i'd have to increase the tempo of that to enjoy it any :P
Lame!
ljubim te, Karin
PunkingtonGrunge
Grunge God

Post by PunkingtonGrunge »

ska is aight, don't diss. it's just because i can't stand reggae.
Now I think it's alright, to feel inhuman...
Comin' at ya quiet and underwhelming from the unremarkable soundscapes of Farmer Jan!!!11!1!1one!!1
https://soundcloud.com/blueblueblur
BleedTheFreak
Grunge guru

Post by BleedTheFreak »

Y'all have black and white images of musicians as yer' profilers. Make me want to join the crew. xD
"Black windows of paint; I scratched with my nails." | "In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies."
instagram | 90's tumblr | No, I still don't listen to Pearl Jam.
SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG »

PunkingtonGrunge wrote:ska is aight, don't diss. it's just because i can't stand reggae.
Because it's slower? That's like liking metal and punk but hating grunge!

ljubim te, Karin
Ferglius
Grunge God

Post by Ferglius »

BleedTheFreak wrote:It's my own personal opinion, but post-grunge is one of those genres that I really want to hate, it epitomizes almost everything about music that I dislike, from the commercial aspect, to the "clean and over-produced" sound, the drowned out drums and guitar, the generic vocals.

At least this song has Santana.

That said, I really have a soft spot for that first wave of post-grunge bands, Silverchair, Bush, Candlebox, Matchbox Twenty, ThirdEyeBlind, Natalie Imbruglia, Days of the New, Alanis Morrisette, Foo Fighters, etc -- mainly because I grew up with that music as a kid, it was always on the radio and television. So it was just the standard for me, that "this is music" also it practically can be considered the last time that 'rock music' was the mainstream, I think after that everything became about pop and rap.

So, as much as I want to disregard those bands from existence, as simply "the record labels still refuting to let go of the glory days of grunge and alt-rock". I can't stop the abusive love-hate relationship I have with them. There was the second wave of post-grunge that picked up a little later (I think you all know what bands I'm talking about) but absolutely none of those are bands I would listen to casually.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I know it's just nostalgia goggles but the bands you named I all like even though the spelled the beginning of the end for grunge and rock music in general. It only got worse and it only gets much worse from here. I'm so sorry
Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle »

otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep
tracheae
Grunge master

Post by tracheae »

Well, soundgarden: superunknown
incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

Fair enough :lol:

To be honest, I felt an irrestible urge to put on my own SG Best Of the other day, if only to listen to Ugly Truth which I chose as the opening track.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?
tracheae
Grunge master

Post by tracheae »

oh, i love that song... can't find my favourite video of it anymore, but the drum intro on this one comes pretty close
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx02-SEKq1o
SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG »

old tunes i recorded some time ago... my guitar playing sure has improved over the years. i find it funny that people usually compliment my basslines but make absolutelly no comments on the crazy solos i play. maybe im boring :p
ljubim te, Karin
PunkingtonGrunge
Grunge God

SKUNCHBAG wrote:
PunkingtonGrunge wrote:ska is aight, don't diss. it's just because i can't stand reggae.
Because it's slower? That's like liking metal and punk but hating grunge!

for ska a lot of other things come into play though...
just look at the instrumentation for starters, in ska brass is almost a basic feature but in reggae it's not all that necessary. there's also the third wave ska bands who started implementing certain features of punk into a sped up reggae musical style. i mean... it's more than obvious still that ska is a type of music that was influenced by the reggae + speed equation, you can hear that straight off, but i don't think (in terms of contemporary ska at least) you could make the punk - metal analogy in this scenario.

also, the vocal melody for that song sounds awful similar to this.
Comin' at ya quiet and underwhelming from the unremarkable soundscapes of Farmer Jan!!!11!1!1one!!1
SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG »

i can. because i actually know what im saying. reggae evolved from ska and rocksteady, not the other way around. and use of brass instruments is quite common, if you can't listen to the trumpets after every verse then your hearing is impaired. cant dig a style that took elements of something you like and slowed it down a bit? you just dont get the innate coolness of that mellow mood. too bad.

and dusty's got nuthin on john holt, get out.
ljubim te, Karin
PunkingtonGrunge
Grunge God

hehehe, you're right. i don't really know what i'm talking about when it comes to reggae. in any case, when you said i supposedly can't hear the trumpets, of course i can, but it's only THAT song in particular whereas i'm referring to reggae as a whole. i also didn't say i preferred either artist over the other, i simply made a remark on the similarity of the two songs.

perhaps i don't ''get'' the innate coolness of that mellow mood, but i hope you don't take me for some punk puritan listening to only fast paced distortion heavy growls :?

SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG »

course not, boy! i know yer ears are used to different styles. but see, bob marley rarely toured without at least a trumpet and sax in his band. there's lots of nice melodic brass tracks in reggae. i shot the sheriff is a good example for starters. wind sections are not as ever-present in reggae as they are in ska, but still, they're a key element in more than just a few songs!
ljubim te, Karin
incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

It's German, but give it a listen. Very hypnotic. I love his voice too.

"Laufe schnell, laufe immer schneller.
Dunkelheit, sie wird am Ende heller.
Doch die Sonne wirst Du nie erreichen.
Willst Du ewig Deiner Stunde weichen?"

(Run fast, run ever faster.
Darkness, turning into light in the end.
Yet you will never reach the sun.
Will you forever run from your final hour?)

Fuck, this song hit me right there.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?