Favorite Solo?

Bored? Here is a fun section for games of all kinds. Song games, trivia quizzes and lots of other fun activities can be found here. From time to time us kind folks at Grunge Forum will put one of our prized possessions up for grabs as well. Check it out here, you might be that lucky one!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Checks
Grunge God

Favorite Solo?

Post by Checks »

I was thinking.. what is YOUR favorite solo?

Post a video and WHERE it starts.. don't want to be listening to an 8 min video and it to be in the last 30 seconds..

1:35 +

This is the ONLY solo in the ENTIRE world to make me feel all fuzzy and really make me crave something

evee103 wrote:Welcome to the United States of Fuckery, where shit is fucked.
Luciditypro
Grunge God

Re: Favorite Solo?

Post by Luciditypro »

Oh! Dude! I've got a killer drum solo from a crap band! I can't remember the name or anything, but I'll post the vid when I track it down for sure!
Shake it like a Polaroid picture.

Follow your dreams, no one can stop you.
Except a person in a tank.
A person in a tank could probably stop you.
P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V »

Tool - Aenema

3:37

I've got a lot of favorites, but this one is above all else. Every single time I hear it, no matter what I felt beforehand, I am dramatically affected by it. It's not a guitar solo, it is poetry. It's an aggressive, raw, and unrefined wave of emotion.

Other than that, a couple of my other favorites are:

Jerry Cantrell - Hurts, Don't It?

(The whole song)
Jerry is one of my all time favorite guitarists and musicians...and I think this song more than anything else epitomizes the anguish and beauty Jerry can put out there. Even without context, you can and will understand how he felt when he performed this song.

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

(The whole song)
The saddest song ever recorded. Until someone shows me differently, I will stand by this. Edie Hazel didn't play guitar for this song, he spoke through it. It was also recorded in one fucking take and was completely improvised.

Alice in Chains - Nutshell

(2:45)
This was one of the first solos I heard, aside from Aenema, that completely moved me. It still does. Like I said before, Jerry knows how to put all of his anguish and emotion into his playing. Not one note is misplayed or wasted in telling his vivid story.

Aphex Twin - Avril 14th

This is actually a piano solo instead of a guitar solo. Listen to it, though. It's cerebral. It's like a happy, nostalgic walk through a park in the snow at night time in the main area of a small town. You see the snow coming down, and you feel happy that you're alive and that you're moving forward instead of getting stuck or moving backward. It's that perfect cathartic moment before you transcend from one plateau to another...a moment of reflection that makes you realize that everything that happened before is alright and was necessary. At least, that's what I get from it.
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person
incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

Checks wrote:I was thinking.. what is YOUR favorite solo?

Post a video and WHERE it starts.. don't want to be listening to an 8 min video and it to be in the last 30 seconds..

This is the ONLY solo in the ENTIRE world to make me feel all fuzzy and really make me crave something

Tom, I love you :mrgreen:

This was possibly THE solo that got me into rock music as a whole. Still gives me the chills every time I hear it, and I was pretty little when I heard that the first time. Great, great solo.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?
Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

3:40

Tom Morello is a guitar solo god! :P
when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why
incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

By the way: http://grungeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18087 :mrgreen:

But it's okay, I was looking for INSANE! solos there and here you can name all kinds of them :wink:

A couple of my favorites:

Josh's solo alone (from 8:25 onward) makes this one of the best songs EVAH. I love Kyuss so damn much you wouldn't believe it.

Birth Ritual is the most brutal Soundgarden song ever and the solo is the icing on the cake. I could only find live or demo versions, so you have to live with this one (2:53 but the album version is even better, hands down)

Ty Tabor: guitar god. Proof: 2:46 onward. Nuff said.

This one might not be top notch in terms of technical proficiency but hey, that song is LEGENDARY. 1:25 solo proof.

And finally, any solo from Weezer's debut album. Only in Dreams is possibly the primus inter pares among these.

Start at 4:13 or whichever part you like.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
Elektra Foxx
Grunge maniac

Post by Elektra Foxx »

Eddie Van Halen - Eruption

Fucking awesome, best solo ever.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

Sorry, but I cannot accept shredding as real greatness. That's just pure technique without soul, and, as lame as the comparison might appear, that's the difference between Eddie Van Halen and Jimi Hendrix. Jimi = feeling + technical genius.

This is the best guitar solo that has ever been played and nothing, repeat NOTHING will ever come close to this. It's the complete universe encapsulated in one performance.
Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

I agree with Jan. And shredding sounds like shit. And the more complex the technique, the less feeling is involved and the more awful it sounds. Look at 8 finger tapping. How dreadful.
slatesphanboi
Grunge maniac

Post by slatesphanboi »

This solo is SICK! 8)

(solo starts at 1:36)
[img]http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g408/slatesphanboi/Miscellaneous%20Five/Soundgarden-Live-To-Rise.jpg[/img]
Elektra Foxx
Grunge maniac

Post by Elektra Foxx »

incessantmace wrote:Sorry, but I cannot accept shredding as real greatness. That's just pure technique without soul, and, as lame as the comparison might appear, that's the difference between Eddie Van Halen and Jimi Hendrix. Jimi = feeling + technical genius.

This is the best guitar solo that has ever been played and nothing, repeat NOTHING will ever come close to this. It's the complete universe encapsulated in one performance.
It was just my preference. No one is better than Jimi.

Most of the guitarists who were young in the late 70s would disagree wth the lack of greatness. Just like Jimi years earlier, he was a game changer. His impact in the music scene in the 80s and early 90s was massive.

And If Eddie was "pure technique" he wouldn't have sold a shitload of records. "Panama"? "Dance the Night Away"? That's radio-friendly Hard Rock.
Zodiac_n_Black
Grunge prophet

Post by Zodiac_n_Black »

Well I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion but to say that shredding is soulless seem a bit silly to me.

Anyway... Prince! From about 3:20 onwards.

Dhani Harrison is loving it!
Debut album out now, listen to the whole thing on Soundcloud here ...

Add us on Facebook and watch our video for Bad Pills here.
slatesphanboi
Grunge maniac

Post by slatesphanboi »

Zodiac_n_Black wrote:

Prince can assuredly wail on an ax!

I saw him live in like 1997 (a friend drug me to his show) and he only played guitar once, during 'purple rain', and he ripped an amazing solo. I was all like 'DAMN!' :o Dude is a way under-rated guitar player.

[img]http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g408/slatesphanboi/Miscellaneous%20Five/Soundgarden-Live-To-Rise.jpg[/img]
Zodiac_n_Black
Grunge prophet

Post by Zodiac_n_Black »

slatesphanboi wrote:
Zodiac_n_Black wrote:

Prince can assuredly wail on an ax!

I saw him live in like 1997 (a friend drug me to his show) and he only played guitar once, during 'purple rain', and he ripped an amazing solo. I was all like 'DAMN!' :o Dude is a way under-rated guitar player.

Prince is very underrated which seems odd considering he's a household name. You are right though he doesn't play guitar an awful lot so his playing hasn't really had much exposure. I too saw him a couple of years ago at the O2 in London and he was incredible. He is also a great sax player and his dance moves rival Jackos (and mine :lol: ) in my opinion. He plays pretty much everything on his records I believe.

I saw Stevie Wonder the following year at the O2 and absolutely love Stevie Wonder but it was an absolute snooze fest (literally, there was a guy in the seat in front who actually fell asleep for most of the show). He hardly played any of his stuff from the late 60's/early 70's, it was all the awful 80's onwards stuff. Vomit.

Here's some more prince for the doubters...

Debut album out now, listen to the whole thing on Soundcloud here ...

Add us on Facebook and watch our video for Bad Pills here.
KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana »

Checks wrote:I was thinking.. what is YOUR favorite solo?

I remember always thinking that might be my favorite too, but then I always think about how cool Kurt's solos are, maybe like off of Bleach or early ones, and the one for In Bloom.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support