This band or that band?

Bored? Here is a fun section for games of all kinds. Song games, trivia quizzes and lots of other fun activities can be found here. From time to time us kind folks at Grunge Forum will put one of our prized possessions up for grabs as well. Check it out here, you might be that lucky one!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Re: This band or that band?

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:18 am

Y2K-kyle wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:12 am
I try not to side with these types of conversations but this is from their own Wiki page:
Oasis were most heavily influenced by the Beatles, an influence that was frequently labelled as an "obsession" by British media.
I know what you're thinking, "Nearly EVERYONE is influenced by the Beatles!" Which is true, as they had some fantastic songs and did some major things that we wouldn't think about were important today, but I can see and hear the influence. So the comment "mimicking The Beatles" is...understandable.

Then again they have a legacy in their own right to the point that fans STILL want a reunion. So I wouldn't be too upset about it personally and try to start a fight, as you two tend to do.
Fair enough, during the early years Liam borrowed a lot stylistically from John Lennon, but he abandoned that fairly quickly. And some songs (She's Electric, Don't Look Back In Anger) have a strong Beatles influence. But they did have a sound of their own, which incorporated plenty of elements from other artists/genres (including from Nirvana).

In terms of style/attire, Oasis were probably more influenced by the mod-revival scene of the late 1970s (The Jam, Squeeze, Secret Affair, etc)
John Lennon or George Harrison?
George. While I by and large enjoy what Lennon contributed to The Beatles, Imagine is such a vastly overrated, boring song, and that ruins John a bit for me.

Two of Nirvana's biggest influences: Dinosaur Jr or The Meat Puppets?

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:11 pm

Is that even a question? Dinosar Jr.

The Meatpuppets were great when Is saw them but I have yet to hear an album or recording that sounded as good as they did that night.

Dinosaur Jr. have some not so great material but I feel like since they returned they cut out some of the weird for the sake of weird elements and they are a much better band. Beyond, the album that they came back with is so fucking fantastic its a shame they didn't put that out back in the day. I just saw them a couple months ago for the first time ever after having missed them on about five separate occasions for various stupid reasons and it was everything I hoped for.

Rancid or Bad Religion?

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:56 pm

Rancid. Not got any records by Bad Religion, but I do have some from Rancid. That’s really all there is to it.

Wire or The Smiths?

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:41 pm

I hated the Smiths for years and then somehow I came around. I think its really cheesy how many of their lyrics were lines they lifted from old movies but now I have all of their albums (not all the compilations)....but that was really jumpstarted by getting a vinyl collection with almost all of them in it. Wire I only have one cassette and never really ran to get more.

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:46 pm

ah I forgot to add the next choice.

Sonic Youth or Primus?

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:27 pm

Pffff don't care too much for either. Primus were more fun though so I choose them.

Blondie or the Runaways?
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:34 pm

That One Way Or Another song by Blondie was pretty good. Oh, and Hanging On The Telephone is on a punk-compilation that I own. I never heard a huge amount of their other work, but I’ll choose them.

Battle of the Australian bands: AC/DC or INXS?

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:18 am

Going for the less popular opinion but INXS arguably had a bigger impact on me than AC/CD (duly bought the Thunderstruck single as an impressionable youth though).

Distillers or Spinnerette?
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:49 am

The fuck are AC/CD?

I hadn’t really heard of any of those two bands until now. Vaguely know Distillers. Having listened to a couple of the main songs in YouTube, I’ll probably go with them over Spinnerette, who seemed OK but not as good as Distillers.
Hey, maybe I’ll buy a Distillers album if I see it in the shops!

Iggy Pop or David Bowie?

EDIT: actually Spinnarette start to ring a bell now.

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:17 pm

Iggy and Boiwe are like the two most over rated of all time. I really don't see the fascination for either. I wouldn't scream oh my god shut it off but I also wouldn't scream turn it up either. Iggys cover of Wild One is great but its a cover so it is what it is.

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:56 am

Canucker wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:17 pm
Iggy and Boiwe are like the two most over rated of all time. I really don't see the fascination for either. I wouldn't scream oh my god shut it off but I also wouldn't scream turn it up either. Iggys cover of Wild One is great but its a cover so it is what it is.
Okay. Which are your two bands?

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:26 am

I didn't actually pick one of the two so my comment was just a comment and doesn't actually count.....so someone else has to pick and then name two.

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:34 am

In which case, to speed things up, I will simply name two.

The Who or The Kinks?

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:49 pm

The Who because more kickass.

Taylor Swift or Katy Perry?

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:57 pm

Katie Perry all the way........ not that I'm a fan but every time I see anything Taylor Swift I just wanna pull a Kanye and interrupt.

The Ramones or the Misfits?