This band or that band?

Bored? Here is a fun section for games of all kinds. Song games, trivia quizzes and lots of other fun activities can be found here. From time to time us kind folks at Grunge Forum will put one of our prized possessions up for grabs as well. Check it out here, you might be that lucky one!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

Canucker
Grunge God

Re: This band or that band?

Post by Canucker » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:30 am

Not Joe Bonamassa..... they are giving away tickets for him at work....he keeps getting signature gear and I couldn't name a single song. Someone told me he just does covers and I have no clue if thats true or not. They might have done it just to get me to fly off the handle because I despise cover bands. So Buddy Guy for the win.

I think we drifted off to different genres early on in this.

William Shatner or Cher?

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:37 am

Cher, obviously. I’ve barely heard of William Shatner!!

TAD or Skin Yard?

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:11 pm

Cher is kind of a tool.....Shatner is kind of an asshat but his version of Common People is pretty great. He knows he can't sing so he has fun with it....he doesn't realise all the other things he can't do though.

I'd go with Skin Yard.....I have one cd and I have the tad documentary....and a promo copy of a tad album. The documentary is great accept for the parts where they are playing....maybe I'm judging them to much on bad live sound.

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:13 pm

Oh I forgot to add...... Twisted Sister or Metallica?

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:24 pm

Have you been looking at my music collection?!? Christ, that’s a hard one! I have many albums by both artists. I’ll go with Metallica, purely on account of the fact that I became interested in them first. Definitely can’t deny Twisted Sister though.

Aerosmith or Led Zeppelin?

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:07 pm

As someone who grew up with classic rock, this one's a challenge!

I enjoy both bands but I think I'll go with Led Zeppelin, despite their history of stealing works and not crediting them until years later.

Faith No More or Red Hot Chili Peppers
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep
incessantmace wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:56 am
I tried to seduce my wife by singing Big Dumb Sex to her once. Didn't work out though, I dunno why

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:39 am

Red Hot Chili Peppers, of course. They’re one of my favourite bands of all time! I had absolutely no trouble answering that question!

T Rex (the band) or David Bowie?

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:49 am

T Rex. I think bowie is hugely over rated....how can he not be? This is coming from someone who first heard Lets Dance and then next that awful duet with Mic Jagger..... as far as the others go...... Twisted Sister all the way, Faith No More (I can't stand the chilli peppers), Aero Smith (I can't stand Zepplin....or metallica for that matter)....these are all pretty easy for me to decide.

Bikini Kill or Hole?

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:50 am

Hole lotta Courtney, of course! Do need to listen to a bit more Bikini Kill, though.

Living Color or Survivor?

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:01 pm

I think Live Through This is the only listenable hole album.... and maybe Nobodys Daughter...though I don't think I've ever listened to the entire thing. Pretty on the Inside is a horrid pile of crap...songs and recording....celebrity skin is a polished turd...... Bikini Kill starts with some they can barely play their instruments and the recording quality isn't there but the songs are great and it progresses from there.

I have no clue who Survivor is....maybe I'm just blanking so I guess by default Living Colour.

Deee-Lite or EMF????

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:52 am

Survivor were the rock band that did Eye Of The Tiger. A bit of a one hit wonder TBH.

EMF, to answer your question.

Smashing Pumpkins or Sugar?

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:23 pm

Ok then I did know who Survivor are after all. Its very likely I have the 7" for that one....I now I have it on a vinyl comp from back in the day when records were cheap at the thrift stores.

Tripping Daisy or Collective Soul?

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:13 pm

I’ve not given either much time to be honest with you. Tripping Daisy I recall are quite good, but I can’t really remember. Nevertheless that is the answer.

Mother Love Bone or Malfunkshun?

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:23 am

BleedTheFreak wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:45 pm
Plus, Gallagher bros are cunts and never really liked their obsession with mimicking The Beatles.
Sorry, just read that, and they don't have an obsession with mimicking The Beatles.

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:12 am

Jack_Armstrong wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:23 am
Sorry, just read that, and they don't have an obsession with mimicking The Beatles.
I try not to side with these types of conversations but this is from their own Wiki page:
Oasis were most heavily influenced by the Beatles, an influence that was frequently labelled as an "obsession" by British media.
I know what you're thinking, "Nearly EVERYONE is influenced by the Beatles!" Which is true, as they had some fantastic songs and did some major things that we wouldn't think about were important today, but I can see and hear the influence. So the comment "mimicking The Beatles" is...understandable.

Then again they have a legacy in their own right to the point that fans STILL want a reunion. So I wouldn't be too upset about it personally and try to start a fight, as you two tend to do.

ANYWAYS, to answer the big question:
Jack_Armstrong wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:13 pm
Mother Love Bone or Malfunkshun?
Mother Love Bone honestly. More of a polished band, in terms of a unit than the quality of music, when other members focused on other bands as Seattle bands tend to do back then. Andrew Wood still awesome. I will say that the current form with Jeff Stark as the lead has popped by here and has contributed to one of the compilations, which to me is still one of the coolest moments in this forum's history.

https://grungeforum.bandcamp.com/track/my-love

Jeff also did a bonus solo song for us as well. He went by Jeff Loftis for one reason or another but still a good track!

https://grungeforum.bandcamp.com/track/silent-night

You know what, speaking of the Beatles...

John Lennon or George Harrison?
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep
incessantmace wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:56 am
I tried to seduce my wife by singing Big Dumb Sex to her once. Didn't work out though, I dunno why