Welcome to GRUNGE FORUM!!!!

All the news you need to know about GRUNGEFORUM.COM and anything else we think you'll be interested in.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

j-bug
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to GRUNGE FORUM!!!!

Post by j-bug »

French is actually easier if your a Welsh speaker.Breton is the closest related language to Welsh.

and my daughter learned Welsh in 12 weeks when she was 11.shes a genius.:P i wasnt taking offence though.i just enjoy talking about native languages.
:twisted:
itsamechrisyo
Grunge fanatic

Post by itsamechrisyo »

j-bug wrote:French is actually easier if your a Welsh speaker.Breton is the closest related language to Welsh.

and my daughter learned Welsh in 12 weeks when she was 11.shes a genius.:P i wasnt taking offence though.i just enjoy talking about native languages.
Haha whoops. Well not French then but another language. You do get my drift do you?

Speaking about your daughter. Besides her being a genius (must look after one of her parents right? :wink: ) there is a sensitive period for second-language development skills which is between 5 and 12 years old. After that it gets a lot harder to learn a second or third language. Besides, aren't you from Wales/Cymru yourself? Don't you think this has a part in your daughter learning it?
Click HERE to take the idiot test.
j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug »

we moved here when she was 10.:).never even saw a word of Welsh before then,being English.didnt start Welsh medium till she was 11.and Cardiff is not what you would call a Welsh medium society.almost no one is Welsh speaking,so outside of school she doesnt get much of a chance to use her Welsh,or expand her knowledge.she is learning German,in Welsh.the other children have been learning German for 5 years,and as all there schooling has been in Welsh it should be easier for them,she has been learning German for 18 months and is top of her year.she is 2 years ahead of the other children.she just finds languages easy.
itsamechrisyo
Grunge fanatic

Post by itsamechrisyo »

Well. I'll keep my silence then haha. Congrats on having a genius daughter :P.
SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG »

I bet she has a musical ear
sky above, voice within
j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug »

no need.i am just having a good old chin wag with ya.;)

Jamie?she is doing that teenage rebelion thing,but mostly,she is pretty good.
itsamechrisyo
Grunge fanatic

Post by itsamechrisyo »

Then you should start a band with her just like Van Halen dit and call it Van Jaybug and make a lot of money. She could sing in Welsh!
j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug »

HAHAHAHA!
Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

itsamechrisyo wrote:The Irish beating the Germans could also refer to drinking habits haha.
My mother's family is Irish, my father's German. I challenge myself to a drinking competition. :geek: Jan, play some brass music. Perhaps Brian can play some Irish style banjo.
Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

SKUNCHBAG wrote:I bet she has a musical ear
She has shite taste.
itsamechrisyo
Grunge fanatic

Post by itsamechrisyo »

Schneider wrote:
itsamechrisyo wrote:The Irish beating the Germans could also refer to drinking habits haha.
My mother's family is Irish, my father's German. I challenge myself to a drinking competition. :geek: Jan, play some brass music. Perhaps Brian can play some Irish style banjo.
I hope you win! Maybe we can get some Russian members to join in on the fun as well? Maybe play accordeon?
Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

I found it! Couldn't find it on YouTube, but it's on the library of congress website.

http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/recordings/detail/id/6058/

1906!
itsamechrisyo
Grunge fanatic

Post by itsamechrisyo »

Schneider wrote:I found it! Couldn't find it on YouTube, but it's on the library of congress website.

http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/recordings/detail/id/6058/

1906!
Haha so awesome. A quick look on the internet found me this

It Takes the Irish to Beat the Dutch is a song written in 1903 by Edward Madden and Theodore Morse.
The song has several verses, each of them filled with stereotypical Irish bragging about their supposed superiority to Germans ("Dutch" in old-fashioned terminology). The chorus is in the form of a Limerick.

So yeah, most likely it's not about the Netherlands at all.
Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

I wonder how folks from the Netherlands got to be Dutch instead of the Deutsch. Deutsch and Dutch makes more sense!

Also, this the extent of my knowledge of the Dutch language: " Dikkertje Dap klom op de trap. 's Morgens vroeg om kwart over zeven. Om de giraf een klontje te geven." But it fills me with joy!
itsamechrisyo
Grunge fanatic

Post by itsamechrisyo »

Schneider wrote:I wonder how folks from the Netherlands got to be Dutch instead of the Deutsch. Deutsch and Dutch makes more sense!

Also, this the extent of my knowledge of the Dutch language: " Dikkertje Dap klom op de trap. 's Morgens vroeg om kwart over zeven. Om de giraf een klontje te geven." But it fills me with joy!
I don't know. Maybe that has to do with the whole germanic language thingy. Or it is just to show the difference between Deutschland/Germany and The Netherlands. Or it is to show that we are Germany's bitch or something. I really wouldn't know.

It's funny how all foreigner always end up with Dutch nursery rhymes or band language. However. If the songs bring you guys great joy i'm guessing that's kind of enough. Also it's "kwart voor zeven" not "kwart over zeven". Do you know what it means?