New look feedback and complaints thread

All the news you need to know about GRUNGEFORUM.COM and anything else we think you'll be interested in.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug

evee103
Site Admin

Re: New look feedback and complaints thread

Post by evee103 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:55 pm

Woohoo for blue~! And the avatars! Thanks James!
The Jeevies. It's a feeling you get.
Sorlag wrote:You're releasing on Mini CD? I thought that format was as dead as this forum

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:59 am

Cool, sounds like we're mostly happy. What else do we need get done?

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:18 am

Great job! Thanks! Can't think of anything more right now
when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:54 pm

I notice there is a blank FAQs page, so if you can set that up with info about when the board started and how and when grunge started, that would be interesting.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:20 am

Well I didn't start the board but I think I bought it in 2004. Any old timers want to write some FAQ stuff? Or maybe we just start an FAQ thread if we have an old timer or two watching the thread?
KristinNirvana wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:54 pm
I notice there is a black FAQs page, so if you can set that up with info about when the board started and how and when grunge started, that would be interesting.

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:43 am

What should be some basic Q's that would need some A's for newbies? Volunteering my services but I would like some feedback.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep
incessantmace wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:56 am
I tried to seduce my wife by singing Big Dumb Sex to her once. Didn't work out though, I dunno why

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:27 am

Well we do have the old Profile Thread survey but of course it can be rehashed...
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:49 pm

Holy crap someone went to town and set up the FAQ section perfectly! Applause for you!
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep
incessantmace wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:56 am
I tried to seduce my wife by singing Big Dumb Sex to her once. Didn't work out though, I dunno why

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:40 pm

Actually I know I've seen that before....must have forgotten about it after all these years and then someone moved it there. I think it might actually be pre-programmed into forums like this. Actually looking in the FAQs page itself it actually says something of the sort, "Who wrote this bulletin board?
This software (in its unmodified form) is produced, released and is copyright phpBB Limited. It is made available under the GNU General Public License, version 2 (GPL-2.0) and may be freely distributed. See About phpBB for more details."

I still think it would be cool to have grunge trivia FAQs though, starting off with ...

(Edit: First of all it would be cool if it said something like, "This board is dedicated to Nitesh Niraula, aka "otherimprov".")

Q. "When did this forum start and what is it for?" A. Around 2004, to bring together fans of the music genre Grunge, as well as provide a wide-spread encyclopedia-of-sorts of it so that those interested can learn more about it.

Q. "What is grunge?" A. Grunge is a style of rock music that started in the early to mid 1980s in and around the city of Seattle, Washington, USA. It rose to fame in the 1990s primarily with the releases of the band Nirvana's album Nevermind and the band Pearl Jam's album Ten, both in 1991, and then proceeded to shape that decade. It is characterized by primarily mixing metal and punk but also with influences of garage rock, indie rock, alternative rock, and some adding in their own influences of psychedelic rock and folk rock. Heavy guitars, distortion, a raw unpolished sound packed with passion, and raspy or gnarly vocals help to further shape the sound. It is considered a subgenre of Alernative rock.

Q. "What are the main bands that helped bring the scene to the masses?" A. We call them, "The Big Four". Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Q "Is grunge dead?" A. Of course not silly, you're on a grunge forum. Not only that but there are tons of modern grunge bands too.

Q. "How many grunge bands are there?" A. Endless amounts of them. Have a look around this place. You still won't discover them all.
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:04 am

Another thing that has been happening for years is that there is a cutoff date for things being able to be pulled up in the search engine (I want to say it's like 2008 or 2009), as in, anything before that doesn't show up, which is why the search engine hasn't been perfect. The only way I've found to fix it is to go to the comment and just re-submit it, but of course that would be impossible to do with everything that has been posted in those years. So for instance, I looked back on the earliest page in the off-topic section and there is a thread about pro-wrestling, but if I search for topic titles that contain the word "wrestling", I only had one result, which wasn't that thread, until I went to the first post of that thread and clicked "edit" and then straight to "submit", and then it showed up. If there is any way to fix that for the board as a whole, that would be awesome because then the search would be able to pull up a lot more stuff.
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:12 am

Yeah we have some older threads with lots of good information.
KristinNirvana wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:04 am
Another thing that has been happening for years is that there is a cutoff date for things being able to be pulled up in the search engine (I want to say it's like 2008 or 2009), as in, anything before that doesn't show up, which is why the search engine hasn't been perfect. The only way I've found to fix it is to go to the comment and just re-submit it, but of course that would be impossible to do with everything that has been posted in those years. So for instance, I looked back on the earliest page in the off-topic section and there is a thread about pro-wrestling, but if I search for topic titles that contain the word "wrestling", I only had one result, which wasn't that thread, until I went to the first post of that thread and clicked "edit" and then straight to "submit", and then it showed up. If there is any way to fix that for the board as a whole, that would be awesome because then the search would be able to pull up a lot more stuff.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:09 am

I like that grunge FAQ :D
KristinNirvana wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:40 pm
Actually I know I've seen that before....must have forgotten about it after all these years and then someone moved it there. I think it might actually be pre-programmed into forums like this. Actually looking in the FAQs page itself it actually says something of the sort, "Who wrote this bulletin board?
This software (in its unmodified form) is produced, released and is copyright phpBB Limited. It is made available under the GNU General Public License, version 2 (GPL-2.0) and may be freely distributed. See About phpBB for more details."

I still think it would be cool to have grunge trivia FAQs though, starting off with ...

(Edit: First of all it would be cool if it said something like, "This board is dedicated to Nitesh Niraula, aka "otherimprov".")

Q. "When did this forum start and what is it for?" A. Around 2004, to bring together fans of the music genre Grunge, as well as provide a wide-spread encyclopedia-of-sorts of it so that those interested can learn more about it.

Q. "What is grunge?" A. Grunge is a style of rock music that started in the early to mid 1980s in and around the city of Seattle, Washington, USA. It rose to fame in the 1990s primarily with the releases of the band Nirvana's album Nevermind and the band Pearl Jam's album Ten, both in 1991, and then proceeded to shape that decade. It is characterized by primarily mixing metal and punk but also with influences of garage rock, indie rock, alternative rock, and some adding in their own influences of psychedelic rock and folk rock. Heavy guitars, distortion, a raw unpolished sound packed with passion, and raspy or gnarly vocals help to further shape the sound. It is considered a subgenre of Alernative rock.

Q. "What are the main bands that helped bring the scene to the masses?" A. We call them, "The Big Four". Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Q "Is grunge dead?" A. Of course not silly, you're on a grunge forum. Not only that but there are tons of modern grunge bands too.

Q. "How many grunge bands are there?" A. Endless amounts of them. Have a look around this place. You still won't discover them all.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:27 pm

That's a swell FAQ!

One thing I've been thinking about...
<---- The gap between the avatars and the posts is quite big isn't it, seems unnecessary?
when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:46 pm

^Oh it is! I didn't notice that. Another thing is that it's hard to tell which page you are on because the shaded number is too close to the color of the unshaded numbers.
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

Checks
Grunge God

Post by Checks » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:22 pm

Guys.. before you make any changes..

I have none of these issues on mobile! On my phone it's perfect!!

The only thing you can't see is join date, post amount etc
evee103 wrote:Welcome to the United States of Fuckery, where shit is fucked.